redsidekick

Does This Sound Like Being Glutened?

Rate this topic

I was dxd with Celiac about 3 years ago and after what was a long healing process, I felt great, with minor slip ups of gluten here and there (never intentionally). The Saturday before last, I went out to a diner with my friend and ordered a salad with chicken. I awoke in the middle of the night to stomach rumbling and D. The next few days I was bloated whenever I ate, then came gas pains throughout my abdomen, difficulties staying asleep at night, stomach rumblings, and BM's that were one time too hard to pass & the next too easy (I wouldnt call it all out C or D).

I decided I was going to call my doctor if things didnt change after the weekend, but as the weekend came, the bloating ended, sleeping got better, stomach rumbling mellowed, the gas pains got less intense and less frequent, but still kind of alternate when it comes to BM's. Since things looked like they were settling down I decided not to call.

I never had any experience like this for over a day or two. I have read that for some people, several weeks of issues from gluten is not out of the question. So is this the typical course of events for a glutening episode or out of the ordinary.

Thanks as always for any responses.

It sounds like it could be gluten to me. My episodes are of different duration, and I think it depends on how much gluten I ingest. Of course, you can never be sure.

• Upvote 1

I would have to agree with dilettantesteph. When I've been glutened, I've had it last as little as a day and as long as a week or more. Depends on your sensitivity and the amount ingested. Some people are much more sensitive than others. I would also suggest keeping GlutenEase on hand. You can get it a vitamin stores. It is definitely NOT a license to eat gluten but it does help me with symptoms in case of accidental glutening. I take it before family functions because my family is really careless about gluten and I never know where it's lurking.