red island

Glutenfree In Punta Cana Dominican Republic

Rate this topic

Hi Everyone, I booked a trip to Punta Cana shortly after I was diagnosed. Before I knew just how many things gluten was in and before I fell victim to the dreaded cross-contamination and its consequences. Now I am a month away from my vacation and need some advice on what kind of foods I should be fairly safe eating. It is a large resort with mostly buffet style but also some restaurants. I would like to avoid the buffet but I have read that the restaurants may be hard to get into - we plan on trying to make reservations as soon as we get there. I am also taking my own cereal and tons of snacks - worst case scenario I eat sparingly but still enjoy the sun and sand. Any advice from those of you who have been there would be much appreciated.

Oh!!! Worst case scenario would not be eating sparingly - it would be the dire consequences of cc!

Can you contact the resort and restaurants ahead of time? Oftentimes, high-tourist-traffic vacation spots are ahead of the curve regarding catering to gluten-free guests. Definitely try to call ahead....

Hi

Did your trip to pc happen? Pls share your tips. I have to go to to a family event at dreams punta Cana palm beach with a child with celiac who gets very very ill from accidental gluten and I am stressed.

Thanks

I just got back from Punta Cana last week and am still sick from it. I went to the Grand Paradise Bavaro which is a beautiful resort but totally not set up for people with food issues. Very hard to get into the restaurants on the resort and the buffet was well spaced out - fruit way separate from other foods, bread all to itself on a separate table but you cant control what people do once they get there. Major contamination issues there - the milk was in a big vat and you ladled it onto your cereal or into your glass. There were always bits of cereal floating in it. and staff always in a hurry, no facilities in the room to prepare my own food so I basically ate out of my suitcase all week and lived on rice and fruit. I did not contact the resort before I went and I really regret that but with this place I feel that it would not have helped. There were just too many people going through and not enough staff. I would love to go back to Punta Cana, it is beautiful beyond belief but I would stay at a higher class resort.

Oh and I forgot to add that I would definitely look for a room with a kitchenette, they must have some rooms like that. I had taken mac and cheese that I thought I could just heat up in my room but that did not happen cause it turned out I had to add hot water and then microwave it and that wasnt possible. My next trip I will be taking a collapsible kettle with me so I can at least eat a few things in my room besides snack food.