bartfull

Interesting Article About Iodine

Rate this topic

I have ordered a multi-vitamin that contains iodine - it should arrive next week. But I have been concerned that I wasn't getting enough through my food so I was using sea salt. (I can't use "iodized" because corn is the carrier.) I just found out that sea salt has only negligible amounts of iodine.

My doctor told me today that Orgeon State University has a very trustworthy site to explore the nutrients in foods. (He also recommended UC Berkley's site, and Johns Hopkins, along with the Mayo clinic, EPA, FDA, and USDA websites.)

Anyway, I wanted to share this with you folks:

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/minerals/iodine/

I have ordered a multi-vitamin that contains iodine - it should arrive next week. But I have been concerned that I wasn't getting enough through my food so I was using sea salt. (I can't use "iodized" because corn is the carrier.) I just found out that sea salt has only negligible amounts of iodine.

My doctor told me today that Orgeon State University has a very trustworthy site to explore the nutrients in foods. (He also recommended UC Berkley's site, and Johns Hopkins, along with the Mayo clinic, EPA, FDA, and USDA websites.)

Anyway, I wanted to share this with you folks:

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/minerals/iodine/

Yep, got to scroll to the bottom to find me - I need very little of the stuff.

Iodine is so confusing in thyroid disease. Half the stuff I read say to avoid it; the other half says it helps. :blink: Even more confusing, fluoride in water fights for iodine uptake so you might need more iodine in a fluoridated water area.

If you don't have DH or certain kinds of thyroid problems, some iodine in the diet is a good idea. I too use sea salt. How I get my extra iodine now and then is to use seaweed in my soups. I also eat a fair amount of cabbage and brussel sprouts.

Bea