This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hashimotos- "normal" Levels But Major Symptoms?

bbdailey

bbdailey Explorer

Does anybody here have hashimotos with "normal" levels(other than positive antibodies) and still have major symptoms. I was diagnosed with hashimotos and went gluten free last may. I thought it had to be celiac disease because my thyroid levels were "normal" and I was having crazy symptoms. I have been gluten free for 8 months and have definately gotten better but Im still not close to 100%. Its mostly mental issues(brain fog/etc.) that doesnt seem to go away. My question is could this be because I need thyroid medication? I have heard that with hashimotos you want your levels to be in the top 75% and my FT3/4 were a bit low. Also my TSH was like 2.2 last I checked and I heard you want it to be around 1. Could this be causing these symptoms? I dont feel normal at all and it seems crazy that low normal levels could be causing this!! Anybody have any insight or suggestions?

• 3 weeks later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

zeeclass6 Explorer

If you read the book Stop The Thyroid Madness you will have a better understanding of what you need to do. They also have an excellent website and facebook group. You can also read the books by Dr. Shames or Dr. Langer.

If you have antibodies, you have Hashimoto's. Your TSH needs to be around 1.0 to better supress the antibodies.

Are you on Synthroid or only a T4 medication? If so, that may be part of your problem. Look into natural desicated thyroid (NP-Thyorid or Naturthroid). It may be better for you. Or, take additional T3 (but make sure your doctor understands how to administer it properly....time release T3 is usually not a good choice and many doctors like it, but it drives patients crazy).

Skylark Collaborator

You just described me to a T. Problem is, My Dr. had my TSH totally suppressed with T3/T4 and it didn't help. An endo just put me on Armour but I'm not very hopeful.

I think my issue might be subclinical adrenal autoimmunity and slightly low cortisol. I keep reading lists of so-called adrenal fatigue symptoms and they fit me. It turns out that adrenal autoimmunity is more likely with Hashimoto's but subclinical adrenal problems are sort of "off the radar" for mainstream doctors. They are aware of Addison's, but you only get Addison's disease when your adrenals are 90% destroyed. What happens before that??? Do we get dizzy and generally feel like crap???

kathrynk Rookie

Does anybody here have hashimotos with "normal" levels(other than positive antibodies) and still have major symptoms. I was diagnosed with hashimotos and went gluten free last may. I thought it had to be celiac disease because my thyroid levels were "normal" and I was having crazy symptoms. I have been gluten free for 8 months and have definately gotten better but Im still not close to 100%. Its mostly mental issues(brain fog/etc.) that doesnt seem to go away. My question is could this be because I need thyroid medication? I have heard that with hashimotos you want your levels to be in the top 75% and my FT3/4 were a bit low. Also my TSH was like 2.2 last I checked and I heard you want it to be around 1. Could this be causing these symptoms? I dont feel normal at all and it seems crazy that low normal levels could be causing this!! Anybody have any insight or suggestions?

I was just going to post about the exact same issues. I am fatigued and big time brain fog. I can't even remember what I am trying to say mid-sentence. I am completely off gluten and my stomach pains did go away (neg blood test for celiacs). I am seeing my endo this Friday, and was looking for advice on what to say. My TSH levels are about the same as yours (2.3). I do not feel normal either. My thyroid is enlarged with a goiter. I am gaining weight despite exercising 5 times a week (running and weights). I am hoping my endo goes by how I feel and not just bloodwork.

kathrynk Rookie

You just described me to a T. Problem is, My Dr. had my TSH totally suppressed with T3/T4 and it didn't help. An endo just put me on Armour but I'm not very hopeful.

I think my issue might be subclinical adrenal autoimmunity and slightly low cortisol. I keep reading lists of so-called adrenal fatigue symptoms and they fit me. It turns out that adrenal autoimmunity is more likely with Hashimoto's but subclinical adrenal problems are sort of "off the radar" for mainstream doctors. They are aware of Addison's, but you only get Addison's disease when your adrenals are 90% destroyed. What happens before that??? Do we get dizzy and generally feel like crap???

I have never heard of Addison's, will look it up. I am hoping my endo will put me on armour as well. What are some ways to go about discussing this with my endo (without sounding like I have no idea what I am talking about)?

Skylark Collaborator

I have never heard of Addison's, will look it up. I am hoping my endo will put me on armour as well. What are some ways to go about discussing this with my endo (without sounding like I have no idea what I am talking about)?

I don't know that you can. :( Mine is testing 8am serum cortisol, which is a near-useless measurement, just to rule out that something isn't horribly wrong with my adrenals. I will be genuinely surprised if my cortisol is anything other than low-normal because I don't have enough adrenal symptoms, only the dizziness.

I just got the Stop the Thyroid Madness book and it has a section on adrenals that you might find helpful. You know about Open Original Shared Link right?

My endo would really like me to see someone who knows autoimmunity, but he says all the rheumatologists at the clinic where he works are only interested in people with joint pain. (Not sure why he's clueless about autoimmunity since Addison's, Hashimoto's, Graves', and Type 1 diabetes are all endocrine diseases.) We talked about the possibility of a neurologist but neither of us think a neurologist would see a deficit in cognitive function without any sort of baseline because I generally test high on that sort of thing.

kathrynk Rookie

I don't know that you can. :( Mine is testing 8am serum cortisol, which is a near-useless measurement, just to rule out that something isn't horribly wrong with my adrenals. I will be genuinely surprised if my cortisol is anything other than low-normal because I don't have enough adrenal symptoms, only the dizziness.

I just got the Stop the Thyroid Madness book and it has a section on adrenals that you might find helpful. You know about Open Original Shared Link right?

My endo would really like me to see someone who knows autoimmunity, but he says all the rheumatologists at the clinic where he works are only interested in people with joint pain. (Not sure why he's clueless about autoimmunity since Addison's, Hashimoto's, Graves', and Type 1 diabetes are all endocrine diseases.) We talked about the possibility of a neurologist but neither of us think a neurologist would see a deficit in cognitive function without any sort of baseline because I generally test high on that sort of thing.

I found an endocrinologist with really good reviews, who prescribes armour thyroid based on symptoms and labs (not just labs). I am in the process of obtaining all my medical records to bring to that appt. on Monday. I am hoping that helps! Thanks for the link to stop the madness-It has been very helpful!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived