GFreeMO

How Long Does Casein Reaction Last?

Rate this topic

I decided to test my casein reaction 2 days ago. I never was confirmed to have a casein allergy so I wasn't sure if it was that or lactose. I know now that I can't handle casein. It caused cold sores, a migraine, knee pain and mucus poop. How long does casein stay in your system? I drank about a cup and a half of whole milk.

I decided to test my casein reaction 2 days ago. I never was confirmed to have a casein allergy so I wasn't sure if it was that or lactose. I know now that I can't handle casein. It caused cold sores, a migraine, knee pain and mucus poop. How long does casein stay in your system? I drank about a cup and a half of whole milk.

My casein reaction symptoms are sinus congestion and drainage, bloating and excruciating cramping intestinal pain (more like menstrual cramps than my gluten reaction). When I first began to abstain from casein and accidentally consumed dairy, my reaction symptoms lasted 7-10 days. Years later, when I accidentally consumed casein, my reaction symptoms lasted at least 2 weeks. For most people their reaction symptoms are stronger and longer as abstinence time passes. I never 'tested' my diagnosis, because I'd suffered reaction symptoms from dairy for years. I suspected lactose intolerance, but lactaid treated products didn't completely eliminate my symptoms. So I suspected I reacted to the casein protein, not just milk sugar (lactose).

I have the exact same symptoms with similar cramping and a sinus headache. Thanks for the info. I need to be more careful. I need to get out my blender and make some rice milk today.

Hopefully the symptoms wont last too long. :unsure:

I drank about a cup and a half of whole milk.

Was that your complete test? If so, from my understanding, milk contains both lactose and casein, so a more accurate test is to consume something with only casein and no lactose, such as hard cheeses like swiss and cheddar. If a cheese nutrition label says "zero" sugars, that means there are no lactose sugars.

I wondered the same thing, and still do. Dairy gives me GI trouble as well as pimples. I can handle hard cheese in small doses and not get GI trouble, however I will still get a few pimples. I truly don't know what that means for me, but I'm leaning toward sensitivity toward both lactose and casein.

Well wishes,

Chopper