tlzita

Iron Rich Finger Foods For Young Toddler

Rate this topic

I have a little girl who just turned 1 year old. I don't know if she has a wheat allergy or Celiac but she gets diahrrea which leads to a horrible diaper rash instantaneously and also a rash on her belly after eating any form of wheat. I decided it was definitely the wheat about a month ago after removing most foods from her diet and gradually adding in foods until the symptoms reappeared. She has gotten much better since she has stopped eating wheat.

However iron is supposed to be really important for babies. We have just switched her from formula to whole milk which has less iron. With the removal of cereals other than chex and removing other wheat containing baby snacks, I'm not sure she is getting enough iron anymore. Do you know of any finger foods for young toddlers which are well fortified with iron? I have been making some biscuits with the infant rice cereal to try and increase her iron supplies and she eats lots of cabbage and broccoi but I was wondering if there were like iron rich products for babies who can't eat wheat.

Here's a list:

http://pediatrics.about.com/od/nutrition/a/06_iron_foods.htm

I know when I was anemic, I added a few eggs ( yolk) and blueberries and dried apricots . Not sure if your little one can do raises and dried apricots yet. You could cut them small so she wouldn't choke.

Thanks. I will see how she does with raisins. She eats a lot of lentils, black beans, and chick peas. I had forgotten they were high in iron.

vitamin C helps with iron absorption so I often eat a clementine with my prunes

Chex cereal - one serving is 40% of daily iron (for the corn chex) and the other one (the rice chex, I believe) is something like 54%. My daughter has Celiac and we are trying to get her iron up. I have been pushing eggs, raisins and cooking nearly everything in a cast iron pan. We have another blood draw in a few weeks and I am hoping that will have done the trick (the drops prescribed were just awful). Good luck!

You can also had a little bit of blackstrap mollasses to oatmeal (gluten free). It's very high in iron. My daughter only liked table foods as a toddler so you could also cut into strips some gluten free nuggets or just some chicken pieces. Dipping sauces make them fun too (if a bit messy). Basically everything was finger food for mine when she was little!

More info here: http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/iron.htm

I think we started doing small pieces of red meat around this age too.