This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Newly Daignosed

Guest katzmeow21

Guest katzmeow21

I don't seem to have the typical symptoms only. I usually suffer from pretty severe constipation, a toxic like feeling throughout my whole body, insomnia{not being able to stay asleep} and when I wake up a lot of times I feel anxious or depression in waves. Also have nights where I feel like my body is kind of buzzing or can't relax{not that my mind is feeling that way). Nausea, fatigue ,bloating after eating, brain fog have all been huge my whole life. Every once in a while I get diarhea or irritable bowel type cramping but this is more rare for me. Just recently I have been getting muscle twitches that are random and can occur anywhere but a lot more in the legs, a buzzing feeling in the legs, weakness in legs after slight exertion at times and yet other times I can work out normally and does not seem to bother me Achiness deep in the calf muscles and aching in the heels. My wrists will also feel this weak type achy feeling...

I am especially concerned about all this twitching stuff.....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

These ARE very common symptoms. Fatigue is actually the most common symptom. There are over 200 symptoms with celiac and nobody is the same.

I had alot, but not all,of the same symptoms you do. Nausea was my #1 symptom along with anxiety but I did have some constipation, sleep problems, lack of energy-fatigue,etc.

When were you diagnosed? Are you gluten free yet?

This is definitely an awesome place to be for info and support. Welcome :D

Rachel--24 Collaborator

I have all the symptoms you mention but not the twitching. How long have you been on the diet? The first couple nights I could hardly sleep at all and I would wake up with waves of anxiety like you described. It was like I could feel it surge through my body or something. I don't get diarreah or cramps often either. I get that wierd buzzing once in a while too..its mostly in my hands.

Guest katzmeow21
These ARE very common symptoms. Fatigue is actually the most common symptom. There are over 200 symptoms with celiac and nobody is the same.

I had alot, but not all,of the same symptoms you do. Nausea was my #1 symptom along with anxiety but I did have some constipation, sleep problems, lack of energy-fatigue,etc.

When were you diagnosed? Are you gluten free yet?

This is definitely an awesome place to be for info and support. Welcome :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for your response. I know some of the symptoms but the one that's freaking me out is the muscle twitching. Is that one too?

Yes, I am gluten free as of one week ago.

MJ

nettiebeads Apprentice
Thanks for your response.  I know some of the symptoms but the one that's freaking me out is the muscle twitching.  Is that one too?

MJ

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is such a great forum. I mentioned it to my dr today (my yearly) and he was glad that I was here taking more control of my health. Anyhow, the celiac disease causes malabsorption, which means your body isn't getting enough nutrients. You could be very low in calcium and potassium. Every now and then I'll get those twitchings and up my potassium some until they go away. How long do you think you had celiac disease before it was diagnosed? You could have gone a very long time without getting the proper amount of nutrients into your body. It will take awhile before your body will act more normal, depending on the severity of damage to your small intestine. Read some more of the threads here to get an idea of where cross-contamination possibilities exist. I've lived with this for 9 years and just recently joined this forum. It's been very helpful in becoming more aware of my surroundings. My husband is nonCD, so I'm wiping down counters whether they need it or not and washing my hands much more frequently and keeping them away from my face. Give yourself time, your body has a lot of healing to do.

deb.h. Rookie

the twitching that I get is mainly in my legs and it is tiny little fibers and feels like popcorn popping all over my legs. A little like when your leg falls asleep andit starts to wake up and youget all the tingling. i can get it mildly when I am inactive but it really comes on after I have worked out and after I have gone for a good long walk. It really bums me out because when I went gluten free it disappeared but actually I stopped working out for a year and a half so I know the gluten helped tremendously but not sure if it took it away completely. i haven't asked my doctor about it yet but I know three years ago when it was bad he tested alll my potassuim magnesium, calcium and sodium blood levels and they were all normal.

I used to also get this weird feeling in the back of my legs like if you were sitting out on a plastic chair in the summer andyou tried to get up and the chair would stick to you andyo had to peel your legs off of it. It was the weird feeling the would ocure for a few minutes after that.Tingling of some sort. I would cI used to have terrible times of exhaustionand muscle weakness. I was constantly be touching the back of my ldgs to make it go away. i couldn't wear anything that was remotely tight in pants or it was worse or definitley more noticible.

I used to have terrible times of exhaustionand muscle weakness. i am telling you all this because i wantd to let you knw that your symtoms are not unusual for celiac disease or Gluten Intolerance which is what I have.

i was glutenized last night and had the insomnia and buzzing in my body that you describe.

I am beginning to figure out that that I think there is more gluten getting into my diet that I thought. last night my whole body ached liked i had a flu. i had a few bites of a date square!!!! i don't know what I was thinking. Sometimes I can't beleive I can be so thoughtless. i really wasn't thinking that this is gluten I am eating. all I thought was OH ILOVE DATE SQUARES. a few bites later it clued in but it was two late and i have been on the diet for almost three years!!

anyway the point is these symptoms will subside with a gluten free diet and supplementation. it took about 8 or 9 months to be gone but I saw improvements immediatley!!

misskris Apprentice

...I used to get twitching in my eyes. Weird. But it passed after being completely gluten-free for a few months.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest katzmeow21
the twitching that I get is mainly in my legs and it is tiny little fibers and feels like popcorn popping all over my legs. A little like when your leg falls asleep andit starts to wake up and youget all the tingling. i can get it mildly when I am inactive but it really comes on after I have worked out and after I have gone for a good long walk. It really bums me out because when I went gluten free it disappeared but actually I stopped working out for a year and a half so I know the gluten helped tremendously but not sure if it took it away completely. i haven't asked my doctor about it yet but I know three years ago when it was bad he tested alll my potassuim magnesium, calcium and sodium blood levels and they were all normal.

I used to also get this weird feeling in the back of my legs like if you were sitting out on a plastic chair in the summer andyou tried to get up and the chair would stick to you andyo had to peel your legs off of it. It was the weird feeling the would ocure for a few minutes after that.Tingling of some sort. I would cI used to have terrible times of exhaustionand muscle weakness. I was constantly be touching the back of my ldgs to make it go away. i couldn't wear anything that was remotely tight in pants or it was worse or definitley more noticible.

I used to have terrible times of exhaustionand muscle weakness. i am telling you all this because i wantd to let you knw that your symtoms are not unusual for celiac disease or Gluten Intolerance which is what I have.

i was glutenized last night and had the insomnia and buzzing in my body that you describe.

I am beginning to figure out that that I think there is more gluten getting into my diet that I thought. last night my whole body ached liked i had a flu. i had a few bites of a date square!!!! i don't know what I was thinking. Sometimes I can't beleive I can be so thoughtless. i really wasn't thinking that this is gluten I am eating. all I thought was OH ILOVE DATE SQUARES. a few bites later it clued in but it was two late and i have been on the diet for almost three years!!

anyway the point is these symptoms will subside with a gluten free diet and supplementation. it took about 8 or 9 months to be gone but I saw improvements immediatley!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks so much for your reply. Yes, like popcorn popping. What a great explanation. My twitching seems to be worse upon resting. And yes , especially after exercise but even then it still happens more when in bed at night....

The buzzing stuff too was freaking me out. I have only been gluten free one week and have probably had symptoms for the past 15 years.....mnnn... But the twitching just the past few months but it is progressive thus far.

I started the insomnia stuff with a low body buzz a long time ago and it would come and go. I used to try and attribute to something I had eaten but could not make a good connection as I never considered gluten :unsure:

I was really concerned as my dad got MS around my age and I now really consider that he was probably gluten intolerant and never diagnosed and it became something worse over a long period of time. He still lived to the ripe old age of 83 but did suffer from his 50's.

Anyway I feel more positive now :)

I am starting to also do EFT which is a kind of energy working technique that works with all kinds of emotional and physical issues.

Have already felt some benefits from that as well.

Again thanks and lets keep in touch :)

a

• 5 years later...
ocean girl Newbie

I am new here too. I am self diagnosing myself, but did get the blood panel....and waiting on the results.

My symptoms are: some gastro...right flank pain

anxiety/dizziness was the beginning

and one nice panic attack which turned

into depression

muscle twitching mainly in my legs

small facial acne

I sort of went gluten free this fall..when the gastro problems worsened. Little did I know I was doing my body partial good...having no idea about celiac/gluten intolerance. Was actually thinking I had an over growth of yeast in my stomach and was eating the anti-yeast diet. I lost 15lbs. from Oct. to Dec. the anxiety turned from that to depression by Dec. In Jan. it had lessened as I started a mild antidepressant. My doctor was not putting any of the stomach issues with the anxiety/depression even though they started at the same time. I began having some muscle twitching in Jan. in my legs...it did not last long. In Jan. my ob/gyn said I should start eating more normal..I had been having some issues there as well..but was better. I started bread and cereal in Feb. for 5 days...my right flank pain came back, I became constipated, my face broke out again and my dizziness came back 2 weeks after that 5-7 day binge. I had the blood panel test run that Wed. and have been gluten free since. The dizziness came back and muscle twitching right after that point. On day 4 of no gluten my face began to clear up again...really going heavy with it this time. I now know I was consuming gluten when going out to eat and some in my house. The dizziness is just lessening now again after day 6, but I still am having some muscle twitching...like maybe 1 every hour...vs. almost constantly after reglutening.

I told my doctor that I am curious to see the results of the blood panel test....but regardless I have made up my mind and know it is the gluten. I also was tested for vitamin deficiences as I tested positive with my ob/gyn for Vitamin D deficiency. I do want to make a gastro appt. that has a nutritionist with them to make sure I am taking the right amount of vitamins to continue my healing.

This has all been very overwhelming to me and exciting at the same time that I am piecing it together after a very difficult 6 months.

happybfree Rookie

Thanks for your response. I know some of the symptoms but the one that's freaking me out is the muscle twitching. Is that one too?

MJ

That's funny. I used to also have muscle twitching, mainly in my eyes. I never thought too deeply about it because it would come and go and I thought it was normal. But now that I think about it, it hasn't happened to me since I went off gluten! Cool!

I think I've had all the symptoms you mentioned. The biggest killer was the nausea.

Good luck with the diet! The new life is amazing!

Fire Fairy Enthusiast

I too had several of the same symptoms. My legs twitched at night but in my case they actually jerked. I actually kicked my poor cat off the bed one night. :( Thankfully it's stopped completely since going gluten free November 2nd last year.

glutenfr3309 Rookie

i definitely had majority of those symptoms you described, except for the twitching. the fatigue was one of the first things that went away for me- i am now almost 10 months gluten-free. i sometimes will still get restless at night as if my legs/body won't relax. for some reason when i drink water it helps- not sure why though.

good luck! in time things will get better!

Archived