Avalon451

Proud Of My 9 Year-Old!

Rate this topic

My daughters have been gluten free for just ten days.There has certainly been moaning, groaning, and mock cries of "Waaahhhh... no more doughnuts!" but for the most part, they are troopers.

Today the 9 y.o. came home from school and told me that she and her friend Allie, who sit next to each other, are in the habit of sharing a bit of their desserts with each other. (it's a small private school and they bring lunchboxes and eat at their desks.) She handed Allie a hunk of her homemade gluten-free macaroon ("yum" said Allie) and Allie handed DD a hunk of her cookie. DD put it down, intending to eat it in a minute, then said, "Hey! Are you trying to poison me?" :) She was pretty proud of herself that she remembered and resisted.

This from the girl who told me she was going to run away when we went gluten free. I mean, she was kidding, but sort of not...?

I'm also loving that my 16 y.o.'s boyfriend and his family have been very sweet and supportive. He's a nice, respectful kid, and is educating himself about it. His mom, who thinks my daughter is the bee's knees, has already called me to ask what is safe and what is not, and is stocking up on safe foods for DD to eat while over at their house.

Now if only I could get my own family interested, and get them to get tested!

Good Girl for your 9 yr old!

and

Awww, how sweet about your 16yr old's girlfriend and family.

Glad for your good news.

My daughters have been gluten free for just ten days.There has certainly been moaning, groaning, and mock cries of "Waaahhhh... no more doughnuts!" but for the most part, they are troopers.

Today the 9 y.o. came home from school and told me that she and her friend Allie, who sit next to each other, are in the habit of sharing a bit of their desserts with each other. (it's a small private school and they bring lunchboxes and eat at their desks.) She handed Allie a hunk of her homemade gluten-free macaroon ("yum" said Allie) and Allie handed DD a hunk of her cookie. DD put it down, intending to eat it in a minute, then said, "Hey! Are you trying to poison me?" :) She was pretty proud of herself that she remembered and resisted.

This from the girl who told me she was going to run away when we went gluten free. I mean, she was kidding, but sort of not...?

I'm also loving that my 16 y.o.'s boyfriend and his family have been very sweet and supportive. He's a nice, respectful kid, and is educating himself about it. His mom, who thinks my daughter is the bee's knees, has already called me to ask what is safe and what is not, and is stocking up on safe foods for DD to eat while over at their house.

Now if only I could get my own family interested, and get them to get tested!

Sounds like your daughter is understanding the gluten thing pretty well? That must make you feel good?

It's so nice that your other daughter has come across such nice, accomodating people too?