This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Soy Foods List

ndw3363

ndw3363 Contributor

So I'm thinking I have a soy intolerance - how do these things come on so quickly?? I was fine for awhile, and now my skin is breaking out, I have terrible headaches, and the brain fog is unbelievable. So for those of you that are soy intolerant, is there a website (such as this one) that you can turn to to look for products that may or may not contain soy? I have to do a complete overhaul of my fridge/pantry and I want to make sure I keep anything that is safe. Is everything with "natural flavoring" out?? I'm just so upset by this. I was doing so well and had a whole list of awesome gluten free recipes. But now, my house is most likely full of items I can't have. Any help would be appreciated.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cahill Collaborator

So I'm thinking I have a soy intolerance - how do these things come on so quickly?? I was fine for awhile, and now my skin is breaking out, I have terrible headaches, and the brain fog is unbelievable. So for those of you that are soy intolerant, is there a website (such as this one) that you can turn to to look for products that may or may not contain soy? I have to do a complete overhaul of my fridge/pantry and I want to make sure I keep anything that is safe. Is everything with "natural flavoring" out?? I'm just so upset by this. I was doing so well and had a whole list of awesome gluten free recipes. But now, my house is most likely full of items I can't have. Any help would be appreciated.

If you are in the US, foods containing soy must have a allergy warning on the food label.

The exception to that is soy oil. I have discovered that most vegetable oil contains some soy oil or can be all soy oil.For some reason oil does not need a allergy warning :blink:

Check EVERYTHING (and I mean EVERYTHING) for soy. You will be amazed the products that contain soy (everything from canned tuna to chocolate candy to shampoo ):ph34r: . Since being gluten and soy free I read every label, even if it is a product I have used before.

I am careful to watch for products manufactured at shared facilitys. I am super sensitive to soy and cross contamination is a big issue for me.

I do use Udi's bread and Hot- Kid rice crisps with no problem .

I am unaware of a web site (such as this one) that deals with soy. If anyone knows of one I would also be interested .

IrishHeart Veteran

It is possible your intolerance is temporary. Don't throw anything out yet! just avoid for a few weeks and try it again.

The following ingredients found on a label indicate the presence of soy protein.

Contain Soy:

Edamame (soybeans in pods)

Hydrolyzed soy protein

Kinnoko flour

Kyodofu (freeze dried tofu)

Soybeans Miso

Natto

Okara (soy pulp)

Shoyu sauce

Soy albumin

Soy bran

Soy concentrate

Soy fiber

Soy flour

Soy formula

Soy grits

Soy milk

Soy miso

Soy nuts

Soy nut butter

Soy protein, soy protein concentrate, soy protein isolate

Soy sauce

Soy sprouts

Soya

Soya Flour

Soybeans

Soybean granules

Soybean curd

Soybean flour

Soy lecithin*

Soybean paste

Supro

Tamari

Tempeh

Teriyaki sauce

Textured soy flour (TSF)

Textured soy protein (TSP)

Textured vegetable protein (TVP)

Tofu

Yakidofu

Yuba (bean curd)

*Products that are covered by the FDA labeling laws and contain soy lecithin must be labeled "contains soy".

May Contain Soy:

Artificial flavoring

Asian foods (e.g. Japanese, Chinese, Thai, etc.)

Hydrolyzed plant protein

Hydrolyzed vegetable protein (HVP)

Natural flavoring

Vegetable broth

Vegetable gum

Vegetable starch

Should be Safe:

Soy oil

Vegetable oil derived from soy

These soy derivatives should be safe for most soy-allergic individuals.

I had a soy intolerance and find I CAN use soy oil (as in mayonnaise) without problems.

I did not eat soy that much to begin with, but like gluten, it is IN everything and so, it was tricky at first. I avoided it for many months and then, added some back in. Sausages, cold cuts, prepared foods may contain soy. Candy, too :(

Some gluten-free products contain soy, so be sure to read the labels. Glutino, Scharr, Van's come to mind.

Hopefully, it is a temporary intolerance for you.

I think mine is. Oddly, the soy intolerance was DXed BEFORE the celiac.!

I tried gluten-free soy sauce recently in a recipe and crossed my fingers and I was okay! :)

Here is a good list of foods that may contain soy. Reads just like the food list we need to avoid for gluten. Wonder why? Because soy is also used most often as fillers. I had to check everything from supplements to lotions, etc. Bummer, I know. :(

I have the gluten-free/DF/SF guide by Cecelia's marketplace and it helped with buying packaged products when I was first Dxed.

Here you go:

Open Original Shared Link

Archived