MamaElle

New Allergies Since Going Gluten Free

Rate this topic

Hi,

I am new to this forum and have been gluten free for about 2 weeks and noticed a great deal of improvement with my neurological symptoms and physical symptoms. I have noticed that I seem to be sensitive to some new foods? Is this common? I had a Starbucks hot chocolate on an empty stomach and had horrible cramps and D about 30 min after. I also became shaky and light headed after having eggs the other morning. Any ideas? Thank you in advance :)

Hi,

I am new to this forum and have been gluten free for about 2 weeks and noticed a great deal of improvement with my neurological symptoms and physical symptoms. I have noticed that I seem to be sensitive to some new foods? Is this common? I had a Starbucks hot chocolate on an empty stomach and had horrible cramps and D about 30 min after. I also became shaky and light headed after having eggs the other morning. Any ideas? Thank you in advance :)

Dairy (in hot chocolate) and eggs are common delayed reaction food allergies. So you probably didn't notice those reactions as much while you were consuming gluten. I continued to have gut symptoms after I was dx'd with celiac disease and abstained from gluten. I took 3 different panels of the ELISA (blood test for IgG allergens) to discover that I had 6 other delayed reaction allergies, including dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg. The last 2 were diagnosed by a special spice and herb ELISA panel.

If you don't have a doc who will give you ELISA, you can just try eliminating foods that bother you to see if you improve. Skin tests don't diagnose delayed reaction allergies. RAST tests only look for IgE or anaphylactic food allergies. Most food allergies are delayed reaction, but mistakenly called 'intolerances' even though they involve immune reactions.

I think it is definitely possible to pick-up new food sensitivities. I think I might have acquired some additional food sensitivities since going GFCFSF. I started eating eggs much more frequently when I first changed my diet but subsequently had to drop them to my unsafe foods list. Same with almonds, was snacking on almonds all the time but had to cut them out. My theory is that my gut was so leaky at that point that partially digested protein molecules (from the eggs and the almonds) were finding their way into my bloodstream and that my immune system turned on and sent in the antibodies to seek and destroy. I am hoping that I will be able to add eggs and almonds back someday but I am not too sure since I have read on this forum that the immune system develops a memory for molecules that it thinks are invading pathogens and automatically responds with another burst of antibodies. That would be a bummer...