bpmk

Insomnia

Rate this topic

I have been diagnosed with Celiac disease about 5 years ago. Following the gluten free diet has really made a difference in my health. I continue to have insomnia at times. This has been on going for about 30 years. Do you have any suggestions?

I have been diagnosed with Celiac disease about 5 years ago. Following the gluten free diet has really made a difference in my health. I continue to have insomnia at times. This has been on going for about 30 years. Do you have any suggestions?

yes, a bedtime routine is of utmost importance. I used to take 150mg benadryl to fall asleep, now I only take it on the nights before i work the next day. the other nights i gave myself a regular bedtime and a routine that starts two hours before bed. I downloaded sleep stream with the binural beats which helps tremendously, I listen to the soft piano music with my headphones and I am out. I listen to the sleep meditation one which is 20 min long and now I am asleep prior to the 20 min period. It rocks!! oh I got rid of caffeine this year and that has helped alot

A Melatonin supplement might help too? Take it about an hour before bedtime. It's an anti-oxidant/hormone that your body makes. Sometimes you need to supplement it.

A variety of vitamin deficiencies can cause insomnia too. Have you had your levels tested recently?

I've had insomnia all my life. I remember when I was a little kid, long before I even started school, I used to hear Mom and Pops come to bed after the 11 o'clock news. I could sleep all day though.

When I grew up and got a second shift job I was in heaven! I could get out at midnight, come home and play guitar or read for a while, go to bed at dawn, and wake up six or seven hours later feeling wide awake and energetic. That made me realize that my biological clock was set differently from most people's.

Now that I run a business, I'll never be able to do second shift again. :( But I am certain that my clock is different because it takes me an hour to fall asleep on a good night, but only a minute or two if I take a nap in the sunshine.

Of course, exposure to gluten or corn pretty much guarantees that I will have a week or so of sleeping only two or three hours a night. That alone is reason enough to be really really careful - I'm too old for that!