ctenny

Numb Tongue, Excess Saliva

Rate this topic

So, I've been on a gluten-free diet for just over 2 weeks now.

The most frustrating symptom I've had all along (for at least a year now) was having my tongue go numb. It's been difficult to talk, and to me it seems like I'm slurring my words. It also seems that at other times my mouth has an excess of saliva (so basically it's the opposite of Sjogren's).

Is Celiac the cause of the numb tongue/excess saliva that I'm sensing and that's been making holding out conversations hard?

How much longer do you think it should be before these annoying tongue/mouth related symptoms clear up? 2 weeks in and it's hard to tell if there's a great difference.

Does the numb tongue fall under "neuropathy"? If it is neuropathy and that means I have damaged nerves, then that will mean that the numb tongue will take a while to heal?

bump

Sorry I didn't respond to the thread earlier, I was hoping someone else would have experience with this particular question. But, I know for me, one of my symptoms of having eaten something with MSG is a numb feeling in my mouth, lips & nose area, all the way to the top of my head.

However, some other MSG symptoms are very similar to celiac symptoms. I'd check ingredients in some of the foods you're eating.

Here are a couple of links with MSG symptoms: http://www.msgmyth.com/symptoms.html and http://www.msgtruth.org/body.htm

Do you keep a food diary at all? Have you noticed this happening after eating certain meals or types of foods? That might help narrow it down, too.

Umm as far as I am aware, I haven't had a reaction to MSG. I haven't kept a diet-record.

But main question is: gluten causing this, and will a gluten-free diet heal the issue?

bump

bump

I don't believe bumping is the best way to elicit help from volunteers who reply to messages because they want to be helpful.

I haven't seen it as an issue from others here that are on a gluten-free diet.

It might be a reaction to some other ingredient (such as MSG which I mentioned, or perhaps artificial colors or something else....). Keeping a food diary, as well as paying attention to ingredients in what you eat may be helpful.

Edited by ciamarie

Numbness and excess body fluids can be part of allergic reactions. I get numb fingers when I touch one of my allergens. I get not numbness, but burning tongue when I ingest a few of my allergens. I get runny nose or mucus build-up in my throat or lungs when I am exposed to one of my allergens.