GanglyOne

Test Results - Celiac V Intolerance V ?

Rate this topic

Hi Everyone,

I have recently had the Celiac blood panel and a biopsy, and was hoping that you all could give me some advice. I have a family history of Celiac disease (one uncle, and two cousins from that same uncle). Some other family members are gluten intolerant. Overall symptoms have not been that severe. The main issue that made me go to the doctor (bleeding) has been determined to not have been caused by Celiac's. Other than that, I do have some stomach discomfort, headaches, and bulky, etc BM (but not irregular). By themselves, these symptoms would not have been serious enough for me to go to the doctor, but as I look through the list of potential symptoms I have a hard time determining what is normal, and I find myself wondering if I have additional symptoms that I never considered before or had become accustomed to.

The blood test results were "positive", while the biopsy results were "negative". I have tried to post the blood test results below. I have been having trouble getting in touch with the doctor for a full explanation of what it means to be positive by the blood test and negative by the biopsy. The doctor did say that I should try gluten-free for a week or so and get back to him with how things are going, but this was only after playing telephone tag with his nurse and asking specific questions. I don't know that I want to start clearing all of the gluten out of the house and inconveniencing my wife since the doctor is sounding wishy washy, and without knowing what the test results really mean. I have been eating gluten-free for 4-5 days now, except for possible CC, and I am not sure that I have noticed any difference.

Does anyone know what the results could mean? Would gluten intolerance by itself result in some positive blood test results? Any advice will be much appreciated.

Deamidated Gliadin Abs, IgA 23 units 0-19

Note: Negative 0 - 19

Weak Positive 20 - 30

Moderate to Strong Positive >30

Deamidated Gliadin Abs, IgG 60 units 0-19

Note: Negative 0 - 19

Weak Positive 20 - 30

Moderate to Strong Positive >30

t-Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA 5 U/mL 0-3

Note: Negative 0 - 3

Weak Positive 4 - 10

Positive >10

Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) has been identified

as the endomysial antigen. Studies have demonstr-

ated that endomysial IgA antibodies have over 99%

specificity for gluten sensitive enteropathy.

t-Transglutaminase (tTG) IgG <2 U/mL 0-5

Note: Negative 0 - 5

Weak Positive 6 - 9

Positive >9

Endomysial Antibody IgA Positive Negative

Immunoglobulin A, Qn, Serum 82 mg/dL 70-400

C-REACTIVE PROTEIN (86140) 02/10/2012 10:15 AM

Panel/Test Value Unit Normal Range

C-Reactive Protein, Quant 0.4 mg/L 0.0-4.9