kvanrens1

Multiple Sensitivities - Can You Start With Eliminating Just One Or Do You Have To Do Them All?

Rate this topic

We just got the Entrolab results which show that my 8 year old daughter has sensitivity to Gluten, Soy, Egg, and Casein. She also has severe lactose intolerance. I am struggling with figuring out a new diet for her. She is already underweight (40 lbs) and the thought of vastly limiting her diet is a little scary. She is on growth hormone therapy so really needs lots of calories for the therapy to work properly. Can you go gluten-free first or do we need to do it all at one time?

Thanks!!!

Kristy

Sadly, I do suggest all at one time. Please realize you are very lucky to find out what not to give your child by one simple test. Others have had to do full elimination diets and find out through a challenge what the allergens are.

Some brands of products help with more allergen free diets.

The cravings place

Enjoy Life

Read all the labels of these products as all might not be specific for your limits and I'm sure other posters have more product suggestions.

All at one time is going to make her feel a lot better a lot faster.

It will be hard at first, but if she is reacting to all those things then ingesting them will only make her continue to have problems. Incidentally, my son would almost only eat gluten when we realized that was his problem. I too stuggled with what on earth to feed him since he was already such a picky eater. But I was pleasantly surprised that it was very easy for us. His taste buds changed as soon as the gluten was out of his system and he started being able to actually taste other foods and started to think they were good. I think when you have gluten intolerance and other allergies you don't taste food as well as you do when you get rid of all of the allergens. It was true for me too. I started to think fruits and vegetables were delicious...when before it all I could do to get them down.

I hope she gets well soon. Think whole foods. Meat, fruit, vegetables. It really works wonders.

Guest flowermom6117

Sadly it is best to do it all at once. You will be surprised how fast things change. We changed my 4 yr olds diet 2 1/2 months ago and she has already put on 2 pounds.

I would suggest finding a few things that she likes best and use them as staples. My daughter probably ate a box of gluten free cereal every 3 days. Then you can slowly add new things into the diet.

It gets easier a lot faster then you think. I was so overwhelmed in the beginning. (my daughter has 11 food allergies and NCGI)

Good luck, and if you need to vent or ask questions we are always here.

Thanks everyone. I had a feeling that would be the answer. I am sure I will be back with more questions. :)