pjr2

Testing And Symptoms

Rate this topic

I went to my primary physcian with a very itchy rash and was told that is was scabies. I used the medicine and parts felt better and some didn't. It came back a week later. My husband didn't have any rash. I finally went to a dermatolgist and was told it was eczema. The cream helped a little and then got much worse. I went back and he thought I might have DH. Did a biopsy from 2 places. That came back negative. He still thinks I have DH so I started the gluten free diet. My back feels much better and some other areas got better. My rash has never been turned into fluid filled blister. The diet has made my stomach and intestines feel much better. I went to a resturant and had balsamic vinegarette dressing. About an hour later my skin started tingling like when your foot or leg goes to sleep, but not numb. Has anyone else experienced this?

Hi there,

With regards your rash Dermatitis Herpetiformis, the little bumps don't necessarily have to be fluid filled. On the Coeliac Australiasite (I'm an Aussie) it says the rash can appear 'hive-like, persisting in one area, or it may look like a pink and scaly dermatitis'. I have a small pink scaly patch on the side of my wrist as well as persistent little red dots/ bumps on one knee cap that sometimes get extremely itchy, but only sporadically. My GP suspected HD so I've just had blood tests for celiac disease. And though I'm not aware of having obvious reactions to wheat or gluten, over the past 3 years I have developed very strong allergic reactions to psyllium, quinoa and oats (even though I've been eating oats for decades). Apparently the protein in oats (avenin) is very similar in structure to the gliadin protein in wheat and there's thoughts now that there may be a subset of celiacs who also react to avenin.

As for the balsamic vinegar, I too have very strong reactions to it. Balsamic vinegar is very high in two natural food chemicals called salicylates and amines and it may be that you're sensitive to either or both of these chemicals. Generally the longer food is stored or left to mature, the greater its amine (and histamine) content and the more problematic it can be for individuals with food sensitivities and intolerance.

This site is a great starting point to understanding the different types of food allergies and sensitivities that can can be caused by salicylates, amines and glutamates and the affects they can have.

And if you want to explore some of it further, here's a link to their 'failsafe' elimination diet. You'll also find a lot of information about all of this at fedup.

Thanks so much. I will take a look at the site you suggested.