lynxigirl

Newly Diagnosed But Not New To Problem

Rate this topic

I was just diagnosed, but am not unfamiliar with celiac. My mom was celiac and so I'm familiar with what is needed, the diet, the baking, the change of life for me. Anyway.....my concern is that I run a exotic animal rescue and have animals, cats, rats, squirrels, hedgehogs, hamster, and birds. I make alot of food mixes especially for the rodents. Their mix is made from rodent block, various cereals, crackers, potato flats, dried fruits, nuts and whatever else is around. the cats get cat food (of course), the hedgehogs get hedgie food, cat food and veggies and the birds get thier food. Anyway......I make thier food, I feed them, I clean up after them, I live with them, i love them. I need ideas of how to deal with thier daily needs. I don't have anyone who can consistantly come in and help, and even if I did, I LOVE with them. Thier cages are in my living room (there are only 5 cages, it's not as bad as it may sound), so they are in my living space, eating thier food which I can not afford to switch to gluten-free for the critters even if I could find gluten-free cat food, rodent block, ect... any ideas to help cut down on cross contamination while caring for these guys? most are going to new homes soon and the rescue has been shut down so soon I will be left with just my couple cats, but still, they have to eat......

Glutlen free cat and dog food is no problem. When it comes to squirrels, rodents, hedgies and hamsters, I would have no idea. But if that is only going to be a temporary situation, no worries. :) Just be as careful as you can, wear a mask when around them, wash, wash your hands after feedings, and then when they are gone, relax and enjoy your kittehs.