This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Loss Of Appetite

GaryR

GaryR Newbie

Ok, some background first.

My new partner had an eating problem when we met. I diagnosed it and was confirmed by the doc's as Celiac. Her defense mechanism then was "dont eat, no pain". That was last October,after that the pains and bloating started to go and we both started to eat Gluten free. We are just starting to live together and are planning a gluten free kitchen.

This February she had a spell in hospital due to Uterus and Ovary problems linked to cervical cancer 25 years ago. 4 weeks on a drip and not eating left her drained. When she was allowed to eat, everything came back up, food pills etc. The defense was then "dont eat, wont be sick". She eventually got through this as there was no medical reason for it, so she started to eat as it was the only way to get out of hospital. Now she has no appetite at all, turns her nose up at all food and eats begrudgingly. Her taste buds are shot,everything tastes sweet. Only drinks water. no tea, coffee fruit juice.

Mouth dry's up every night, has constant sick feeling after very small meals and it feels like it is sitting high up in the stomach. Feet are constantly cold.

She got a dieticians letter from the hospital and binned it but I've convinced her to at least listen to them.

She still feels not eating is the answer to everything though.

Any help, idea's, theory's greatly appreciated.

Regards

Very worried partner.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

Ok, some background first.

My new partner had an eating problem when we met. I diagnosed it and was confirmed by the doc's as Celiac. Her defense mechanism then was "dont eat, no pain". That was last October,after that the pains and bloating started to go and we both started to eat Gluten free. We are just starting to live together and are planning a gluten free kitchen.

This February she had a spell in hospital due to Uterus and Ovary problems linked to cervical cancer 25 years ago. 4 weeks on a drip and not eating left her drained. When she was allowed to eat, everything came back up, food pills etc. The defense was then "dont eat, wont be sick". She eventually got through this as there was no medical reason for it, so she started to eat as it was the only way to get out of hospital. Now she has no appetite at all, turns her nose up at all food and eats begrudgingly. Her taste buds are shot,everything tastes sweet. Only drinks water. no tea, coffee fruit juice.

Mouth dry's up every night, has constant sick feeling after very small meals and it feels like it is sitting high up in the stomach. Feet are constantly cold.

She got a dieticians letter from the hospital and binned it but I've convinced her to at least listen to them.

She still feels not eating is the answer to everything though.

Any help, idea's, theory's greatly appreciated.

Regards

Very worried partner.

It sounds like she's had a rough time? A lot of us tend to equate eating with pain, but we have to eat! It's important to find safe foods that are nutricious. Fruits, veggies, non-processed meats, eggs, nuts, are all good for us. It's best to avoid milk/dairy at first.

Some of her not wanting to eat can come from vitamin/mineral deficiencies. Did she have a Dr. run a blood panel to check her levels?

It's common for Celiacs to be low on B vitamins, especially B12, D, and iron. Cold feet could point towards low iron levels?

Probiotics help food digest and digestive enzymes really help at first too. Adding these should help food digest and not just "sit there" making her feel uncomfortable. Fish oil is an anti-inflamatory that most people benefit from too.

She's lucky she has you on her side. Ask to have the blood tests done if they haven't been, and look for gluten free supplements. She will probably need them until she heals and can eat more?

rosetapper23 Explorer

Like the previous poster, I agree that she may be suffering from nutritional deficiencies (especially B vitamins). There is also the possibility that she is reacting to any hormonal treatment she may have been given in the hospital or afterward. Is she on some type of hormonal treatment for her previous bout with cancer? I can state from experience that when women's hormones are messed with, we can have very bad reactions that particularly affect our appetite and digestion. When certain hormones are low, there can be malabsorption of Thiamine, which can cause all the symptoms you described. However, she may be reacting to ANY medication that she's been given....or reacting to a low-hormone situation where she needs some kind of supplementation. By the way, were her medications checked for gluten?

In the interim, she should attempt to eat some healthy saturated fats to help her absorb fat-soluble vitamins. Good choices would be avocados, nut butters, organic butter, and olives.

You might wish to examine the list of common symptoms of nutritional deficiencies at this website:

Open Original Shared Link

I would like to echo the sentiments above, too, in that your sweetheart is very fortunate to have someone looking out for her and who has her best interests at heart.

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

Just a note if you look at the chart of vitamin deficiencies..when you see anorexia listed, that means a person doesn't want to eat..not the kind of anorexia where people starve themselves because they think they are fat. :D

Skylark Collaborator

You mention a hospitalization. Was she put on antibiotics? As well as vitamins she may need probiotics. Having your digestive system messed up with antibiotics can cause all sorts of unpleasant problems and make food not sit well at all. Get her something good like Ultimate Flora. :)

• 3 weeks later...
terikit Newbie

I was diagnosed with Celiac disease in October 2011 after 4 months of stomach burning, nausea and vertigo symptoms.

I have been following a strict gluten free diet, but am still having stomach pain and a sensation of always having a full stomach even after driving a glass of water.

I sense that things just are not processing well in my stomach. I have read several discussions that indicate that a probiotic may be needed to re-balance the flora in my stomach. Is there a brand or type that provides the best results?

IrishHeart Veteran

I have read several discussions that indicate that a probiotic may be needed to re-balance the flora in my stomach. Is there a brand or type that provides the best results?

We have discussed this many times on here and everyone seems to have a "favorite" :lol:

Some good ones are:

Ultimate Flora

Custom Probiotics

Culturelle

and yes, a celiac gut needs them. Hope it helps!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 months later...
GaryR Newbie

I was diagnosed with Celiac disease in October 2011 after 4 months of stomach burning, nausea and vertigo symptoms.

I have been following a strict gluten free diet, but am still having stomach pain and a sensation of always having a full stomach even after driving a glass of water.

I sense that things just are not processing well in my stomach. I have read several discussions that indicate that a probiotic may be needed to re-balance the flora in my stomach. Is there a brand or type that provides the best results?

We had similar issues.......check the toothpaste/make-up/ shampoo/ bubblebath. I know it may sound strange but as someone pointed out to us your skin is porous, thats how Nicotine patches work.

Gary.

• 2 weeks later...
AmyB22 Newbie

Just a note if you look at the chart of vitamin deficiencies..when you see anorexia listed, that means a person doesn't want to eat..not the kind of anorexia where people starve themselves because they think they are fat. :D

So happy to read this comment. I just replied to a weight loss comment mentioning medical anorexia as explained by my dr.

Thank you.

Archived