jennynic

Question About Fish Oil Supplements

Rate this topic

Do any of you with DH who react to iodine find that you can't take fish oil/cod liver oil supplements? I haven't been able to find much information about iodine content in fish oil supplements, but I reintroduced a fish oil supplement 2 days ago and it seems to be causing a lot of inflammation (burning, redness & itchiness) in my skin. I am not officially diagnosed with DH, but my rash went away on a gluten-free diet and now after keeping a food journal for 3+ months I noticed that it flares up when I consume foods with high levels of iodine in them.

Thanks,

Jenny

There was a thread on here a while ago, and the amount (in general) is supposed to be very low. That said, call the manufacturer and ask if they know. It varies by manufacturer, source, process.

I personally stayed away from fish oil and used flax for about 9 months - and haven't noticed any problems since I added it a few weeks ago.

Thanks for your reply. When I looked at the label to see how to contact the manufacturer, I realized that it contains garlic oil concentrate (the equivalent of 50mg of fresh garlic in each serving). I have been diagnosed with Fructose Malabsorption and can't tolerate garlic at all (when I get too much fructose I break out in the same rash), so that's definitely what is causing the problem!