Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

  • You've found your Celiac Tribe! Join our like-minded, private community and share your story, get encouragement and connect with others.


    • Sign In
    • Sign Up

Discussing The Newbie 101 Topic

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Sara789 said:

Tax Deductions for Celiac Disease

Certain expenses for being on a gluten-free diet can be paid for through a Health Savings Account (HSA) or Flexible Spending Account (FSA), or can be itemized on a Form 1040, Schedule A for your taxes.

Some expenses include the difference between gluten-free foods and the same product that is not labeled as gluten-free (ex: quinoa, oats, nuts, etc), mileage to and from doctor's appointments, and full cost of postage for gluten-free foods.

The Celiac Disease Foundation has some guidelines and a step by step guide: https://celiac.org/celiac-disease/resources/government-benefits/tax-deductions-for-celiac-disease/

FYI.......for those in the US, you have to have a minimum of 10% of your adjusted gross income to even begin being able to deduct any expenses on your taxes.  Unless you are unemployed or earn next to nothing, it's highly doubtful you would have enough to deduct anything.  Also, attempting to deduct anything gluten free is probably going to put you in the "audit" category. It's a huge red flag for the IRS. Any big changes to your tax return gets their attention.  :angry:

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now