Rate this topic

I was diagnosed with celiac's about 20 months ago. For the most part the gluten free diet has made life alot better. However about a week ago my BP spiked to about 175/115 and my heart rate jumped to abot 115.My doctor tried to control the bp with varios medications without any benefit, He is now looking for other causes. I have read about celiacs and throid disease. I think this may be the issue. Does anyone have any insights on this?

Other autoimmune diseases do seem to show up with Celiac. Many of the members of this forum also have Hashimotos or Graves, both autoimmune thyroid diseases. Your 115 tachycardia could indeed be a symptom of hyperthyroidism. A blood test for the thyroid antibodies is a good first step, possibly followed up with a thyroid ultrasound. Thyroid peroxidase antibody and TSH receptor antibody are the two that usually indicate Graves, if my memory serves. Unregulated hyperthyroidism is serious so you should not hesitate on the blood test, IMHO. Good luck.

I have hashimotos witch is underactive thyroid. It is also an autoimmune disease as is celiac. Some research points to a possible link between the two. A simple blood test can find a problem with the thyroid. Your general doc can take care of it.

I was diagnosed with celiac's about 20 months ago. For the most part the gluten free diet has made life alot better. However about a week ago my BP spiked to about 175/115 and my heart rate jumped to abot 115.My doctor tried to control the bp with varios medications without any benefit, He is now looking for other causes. I have read about celiacs and throid disease. I think this may be the issue. Does anyone have any insights on this?

I would definitely push hard for thyroid testing. I would not assume Grave's/hyperthyroid just because of the tachycardia, I suffered that with my hypothyroid/Hashimoto's disease. I've heard some people suggest that the hyperthyroid state of a Hashi's patient is actually caused by sudden release of thyroid hormone as glandular tissue is destroyed. I don't have science to back that up, but it makes sense.

A TSH and free thyroid levels will tell a lot, along with the antibodies. Thyroid stimulating immunoglobulin (TSI), thyroid receptor antibodies (TRAb), anti-thyroid peroxidase (anti-TPO) and anti-thyroglobulin (TgAb) are the ones that will differentiate. Often they'll do just the TSI and the TPO.

Hope you'll be feeling better soon and that your doc will get to the root of the issue.

Welcome to the forum!