This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Doritos Lovers

gliad-in-Idaho

gliad-in-Idaho Newbie

Frito Lay has made several products gluten free for awhile now but we purchased a bag of the Nacho Cheese flavored Doritos the other day and noticed that wheat was no longer listed as an ingredient as it had been previously. So, I emailed them to ask if they were removing gluten from that flavor and this was their reply:

"Thank you for writing to us. The wheat flour has been removed from Doritos Nacho Cheese and they no longer contain any gluten ingredients. This change took place earlier this year.

We consider you a valued consumer and hope you will continue to enjoy snacks from Frito-Lay.

Best regards,

Belinda

Frito-Lay Consumer Relations

011993626A"

Please note that it still does not say "Gluten Free" on the bag so eat at your own risk. However, as it has already been mentioned in another thread, Frito Lays has started an initiative to validate and label their products as gluten free.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

1974girl Enthusiast

oh wow! Awesome of you to check twice. I never looked after I saw it the first time! We have only been buying the blue ones! I read their announcement and some will be labeled gluten free. Others (like Doritos) are listed as "not containing gluten". The difference is that the Doritos and tons of others are made on the same lines as others containing wheat. It said that they wash their lines completely but still do not feel comfortable calling it gluten free...only "not containing gluten". I have been letting my daughter eat their stuff if gluten wasn't in the ingredients. I hope they really do wash those machines!

Here's the link if you want to read which ones are truly gluten free.

Open Original Shared Link

Silencio Enthusiast

Thats awesome. I was eating a ton of those just months ago when the doc told me I can eat as much gluten as I wanted before I got scoped. I wonder if they changed in Canada also. Thanks for the info. I wonder if those Nacho Cheese taco shells from Taco Bell are now gluten free then.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Thats awesome. I was eating a ton of those just months ago when the doc told me I can eat as much gluten as I wanted before I got scoped. I wonder if they changed in Canada also. Thanks for the info. I wonder if those Nacho Cheese taco shells from Taco Bell are now gluten free then.

Not much is safe at Taco Bell. Don't know if this list is valid where you are but here is a link

Teriw Newbie

I am from Canada and I was only diagnosed about a month and a half ago. When I first started looking I had trouble finding a single chip I could eat. I was checking mainly lays brands. Lays, Ruffles and Doritos. When I started checking a week or two later I found the same products without wheat listed. CC is still possible but I have been successfully eating Zesty Doritos, All Dressed Ruffles and Lays Ketchup with no problems. All 3 had wheat listed when I first checked. the Doritos now just doesn't say any wheat ingretients. Ketchup are listed Gluten free (or wheat free I forget which) and the All Dressed now say rice flour instead of wheat flour.

Silencio Enthusiast

I am from Canada and I was only diagnosed about a month and a half ago. When I first started looking I had trouble finding a single chip I could eat. I was checking mainly lays brands. Lays, Ruffles and Doritos. When I started checking a week or two later I found the same products without wheat listed. CC is still possible but I have been successfully eating Zesty Doritos, All Dressed Ruffles and Lays Ketchup with no problems. All 3 had wheat listed when I first checked. the Doritos now just doesn't say any wheat ingretients. Ketchup are listed Gluten free (or wheat free I forget which) and the All Dressed now say rice flour instead of wheat flour.

I got a huge list of gluten free chips I will send you in a private message. If anyone else is interested I will post the whole list here.

• 4 years later...
J-Marie Newbie

Hi everyone! First time posting on this site but in need of your expertise! I have had celiac for almost a year now and am really missing doritos... I have been hearing that doritos are now gluten free. It even says so on the Frito Lay website. However, they only says 'does not contain gluten' but won't say gluten free. Should I trust this? Also, according to the ingredients, it lists 'maltodextrin' and 'dextrin' which I thought were forms of gluten. Help!

Thank you!

Here is the frito lay link:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master
17 minutes ago, J_Marie said:

Hi everyone! First time posting on this site but in need of your expertise! I have had celiac for almost a year now and am really missing doritos... I have been hearing that doritos are now gluten free. It even says so on the Frito Lay website. However, they only says 'does not contain gluten' but won't say gluten free. Should I trust this? Also, according to the ingredients, it lists 'maltodextrin' and 'dextrin' which I thought were forms of gluten. Help!

Thank you!

Here is the frito lay link:

maltodextrin and dextrin should be fine.  I eat Frito products that are labelled gluten-free and ones with no gluten ingredients with no issues.

"The ingredient “maltodextrin” in FDA-regulated food is considered gluten-free if the ingredient list and/or the “Contains” statement do not include the word “wheat.” Please note that maltodextrin is generally considered gluten-free even when derived from wheat, due to the processing."

kamick Newbie

Doritos are gluten free, however it does say on the frito lay website that they are produced in a facility that manufactures other products that contain wheat. My daughter has Celiac and we do not let her eat them since there could be cross contamination. 

Victoria1234 Experienced
16 hours ago, kamick said:

Doritos are gluten free, however it does say on the frito lay website that they are produced in a facility that manufactures other products that contain wheat. My daughter has Celiac and we do not let her eat them since there could be cross contamination. 

Doritos are my go-to snack food a couple times a month. Personally I have not had any issues with them. Thank goodness! I love them dearly and they make me not quite so depressed.

cstark Enthusiast

When if I read the labels on the chip bag of Doritos and other Lays products, I was jumping for joy inside.  Just enjoyed a snack bag of Doritos myself and they were wonderful. :)

Archived