Scott Adams

Can you eat gluten-free at free hotel breakfast buffets? - USA TODAY

Rate this topic

We go prepared-own cereal, toaster bags with our own bread and try to have frig in the hotel room for yogurt. We will eat the fruit and drink the milk and juice but that's about it. Once we did ask about the hash browns and the kitchen staff were nice and checked the ingredients for us. We decided not to risk it.

I ate at the breakfast buffet in D.C. at the Marriott and didn't have any problems. :) I also had dinner there the night before and the food was excellent! They give you the same menu that everyone else gets, except your menu has the gluten-free foods highlighted. :) I wish every restaurant would do this.

Which Marriott? We will be in DC in August and I'm looking for places to eat.

Which Marriott? We will be in DC in August and I'm looking for places to eat.

J.W. Marriott on Pennsylvania Ave.

Excellent dinner and breakfast. We ate in the Avenue Grill at night and in the morning. Have fun!

From the article: "Facebook buddy Brad Douglas says his wife explains her gluten-free need to the staffer "and then says 'If I eat it, I will die.'"

Bad idea, IMO. If I owned the place, I would simply say, "I'm terribly sorry, but if it's that bad, please don't eat here." Or I'd hand her a washed apple.

Of course if owned the place I'd know what's gluten-free. And I'd know she was lying (at least about dying on the spot or JUST from eating at my hotel).

richard