Rate this topic

My toddlers genetic testing came back at moderate risk DQ8 gene-no antibodies to gluten. My son and I are DQ2 high risk diagnosed celiacs. The pediatric GI recommended a gluten-free diet for her but were wondering if it's necessary, if it would cause her to become gluten sensitive unnecessarily. We are gluten-free in the home, but it would be out and about she'd be exposed to gluten. Any thoughts? My concern is what would be best for her in the long run? When she's an adult how will this decision affect her?

Eating gluten free will not cause her to develop a sensitivity to gluten.

I am mother to seven. I have discovered that the best way to prepare someone for their life ahead is to do it now. Like if you want to have them brush their hair everyday, begin by doing it for them. Develope the habits they will need now. If I could do it for my children, I would train them now. They hopefully, won't have to make huge diet changes in the future.

"Train up a child, in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it."

I have read that if you have one allele positive for gluten intolerance, you should follow the diet now. She can be spared physical suffering perhaps if she does it when young. I think there is also something to be said about protecting the other family members. She will learn to be careful for their sake.

Diana

Diana that's how the doctor felt. He said teach her now the rigidness so she'll truly learn it. Plus her kids when she's grown could get celiac and then shed already know the diet. I'm not sure why I've just started questioning if I'm creating a gluten sensitivity unnecessarily. But your input is helpful! We're expecting # 6 and what u say is very true!

• Upvote 1

It is easier than training a teenager to stop eating gluten! I am going with that thought, as I move my almost 8yo gluten free (pos bloodwork, neg biopsy, I have celiac). We are also moving toward gluten free home, my hubby already went gluten free when I did, and now my oldest, so my 4yo (who tested normal) will probably eat gluten free at home, but I am letting him eat whatever he wants outside the home, as recommended by the pediatric GI, and my own celiac dr, re-test blood regularly. If he becomes positive on bloodwork, I won't bother with a biopsy, just make him the same as the rest of us :)

A toddler is difficult, for sure, I know that my 4yo eats pasta for like every meal, waffles, cereal, etc that are gluten based and I have been trying to slowly move away from them to other things, in an effort to make the move for him slower, since he isn't diagnosed- not the same urgency. He doesn't like the gluten free mac and cheese or brown rice pasta, so it is taking some adjustment, but my oldest loves the brown rice pasta and quinoa/corn based pasta with no issues. Ian's chicken nuggets, Van's waffles, we do gluten free pancakes or Belgian waffles on the weekend. It helps that my oldest eats "real" food like meats, rice, beans, eggs, etc etc. where my youngest is SO picky, doesn't eat eggs or ANY meat. Which makes it hard as a parent to then cut a food group :)

Good luck with your journey!