Jump to content
  • Sign Up
0
Sage122

Could I Be Lactose Intolerant?

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

I'm gluten intolerant (not celiac) and have been for about 9 months now.

I've recently realized that milk is starting to bother me, along with chocolate. Funny how some lactose products bother me and others don't. A small 4 OZ glass of milk in the morning doesn't bother me, but 8 oz of milk with my gluten-free granola does. Chocolate gives me horrible stomach cramps but normal vanilla frozen yogurt doesn't. Ice cream bothers me, but I can eat yogurt.

What's going on here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm gluten intolerant (not celiac) and have been for about 9 months now.

I've recently realized that milk is starting to bother me, along with chocolate. Funny how some lactose products bother me and others don't. A small 4 OZ glass of milk in the morning doesn't bother me, but 8 oz of milk with my gluten-free granola does. Chocolate gives me horrible stomach cramps but normal vanilla frozen yogurt doesn't. Ice cream bothers me, but I can eat yogurt.

What's going on here?

It could also be cross reactivity from the proteins. Sometimes yogurt is a little more tolerable than other dairy products, but milk is usually one of ones that people will notice the most. It's common to have issues with dairy, corn, chocolate and even coffee due to cross reactivity. Even if you're not showing as allergic through testing. The same type of damage can be done in your body because your body will react the same way as it does to gluten, although usually not as severely (at least initially).

You may want to look up some more on cross reactivity, and see if you can get more information from an allergist that is familiar with that. Here and there you hear about these allergists that are archaic with their knowledge and claim that you're imaging everything if you don't come up positive on a specific allergen. Which is completely false. Luckily we have a pretty good allergist in Santa Barbara who's been practicing for over 30 years. He's very familiar with cross reactivity.

One of my sons had been eating dairy, mostly yogurt & cheese, without really any major symptoms of an allergy. I suspected a little due to his bloating sometimes. But that was about it. Well, he tested + for dairy, as well as peanuts (thank God I had always kept peanuts away from all of my kids). And we knew he had major gluten and corn sensitivities / allergies, even though those two didn't show on his tests. (Probably because these were not in his system at all.)

My oldest son didn't come up with much of anything on that allergy test (although he had for wheat in the past), but he's the one who's most sensitive of all of us. He also had none of these things in his system at the time either though. If he has any gluten/wheat/corn/dairy his digestive system will completely shut down, and his brain is in la la land for days, up to a couple of weeks.

But this was all very familiar to our allergist. And to the Pediatric Gastroenterologist who referred us to him.

Anyway, just wanted to give you some perspective on what may be happening. I would suggest removing all of those things from your diet for at least a couple of weeks to see how you feel. To help boost the healing & energy process, try drinking carrot/vegetable juices as often as you can. You will be amazed at the amount of energy you have and how quickly it will help repair your digestive system.

Good luck & I hope you're feeling better soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yogurt does not have much lactose because it is fermented and that sugar is what the little buglies eat. Most chocolate is milk chocolate and it usually has soy in it. So you might be reacting to soy. If it is just lactose intolerance you can take Lactaid pills or get Lactaid milk and it should help. If you react to hard cheese then you may have a problem with casein, the protein in milk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It could also be cross reactivity from the proteins. Sometimes yogurt is a little more tolerable than other dairy products, but milk is usually one of ones that people will notice the most. It's common to have issues with dairy, corn, chocolate and even coffee due to cross reactivity. Even if you're not showing as allergic through testing. The same type of damage can be done in your body because your body will react the same way as it does to gluten, although usually not as severely (at least initially).

You may want to look up some more on cross reactivity, and see if you can get more information from an allergist that is familiar with that. Here and there you hear about these allergists that are archaic with their knowledge and claim that you're imaging everything if you don't come up positive on a specific allergen. Which is completely false. Luckily we have a pretty good allergist in Santa Barbara who's been practicing for over 30 years. He's very familiar with cross reactivity.

One of my sons had been eating dairy, mostly yogurt & cheese, without really any major symptoms of an allergy. I suspected a little due to his bloating sometimes. But that was about it. Well, he tested + for dairy, as well as peanuts (thank God I had always kept peanuts away from all of my kids). And we knew he had major gluten and corn sensitivities / allergies, even though those two didn't show on his tests. (Probably because these were not in his system at all.)

My oldest son didn't come up with much of anything on that allergy test (although he had for wheat in the past), but he's the one who's most sensitive of all of us. He also had none of these things in his system at the time either though. If he has any gluten/wheat/corn/dairy his digestive system will completely shut down, and his brain is in la la land for days, up to a couple of weeks.

But this was all very familiar to our allergist. And to the Pediatric Gastroenterologist who referred us to him.

Anyway, just wanted to give you some perspective on what may be happening. I would suggest removing all of those things from your diet for at least a couple of weeks to see how you feel. To help boost the healing & energy process, try drinking carrot/vegetable juices as often as you can. You will be amazed at the amount of energy you have and how quickly it will help repair your digestive system.

Good luck & I hope you're feeling better soon.

Wow I totally didn't know that!!!' thanks for that assurance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
0

×