Newbee

Dieticians

Rate this topic

For those that have been to see a dietician for celiac, I'm curious what your experience was like. Was that person helpful besides telling you what food does not contain gluten (I know that much). I'm curious if they can help suggest alternate foods to eat when you have intolerances. Perhaps help you figure out what those intolerances are without doing an elimination diet. Also did they recommend tests to your doctor for vitamin deficiencies? And if so were they specific (found out my main doctor didn't know all the blood tests to request for me when I asked her to test B12 - trying to find someone who should know this). Thanks!

My experience has been excellent. My dietitian attends all our local group's celiac meetings which is awesome so she gets a first-hand experience on everything celiac related. She did recommend that I request specific bloodwork to check on all vitamin deficiencies (I requested D3, B12, Zinc, Iron - perhaps more). Thankfully my doctor is very aware as well so he knew precisely what to do! :)

Good to hear love2travel! Do you know when they checked your B12 did she also request you get your homocystein checked? I understand that should be requested with a B12 check, but when I asked my doc for a B12 test she didn't know to ask for this.

When we went she asked me my dd favorite foods and then she gave me subs. It was the same day as her diagnosis so I was starting at zero. She had celiac herself so the best part was just letting me know this was not the end of the world. I was supposed to go back but I think I have a handle on it now.