This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Do I Have A Closing Window Of Opportunity To Lose Weight?

nvsmom

nvsmom Community Regular

I'm a mom to three boys, who is 38, around 5'8", and weighs about 175lbs on a bloated day. I am about 30-35 pounds heavier than I'd like to be. I was diagnosed celiac almost a month ago, although I suspect I've had it my whole life. Withdrawl symptoms are slowly lessening and I now feel well enough to start thinking about losing my extra weight again.

This was prompted by the fact that I think my stomach circumference has dropped a few inches since the bloating has subsided and I like looking smaller. I honestly had thought that I just had a lot of belly fat... The type where people start thinking you are a few months pregnant. Not the look I really wanted, but I just thought I was becoming more apple shaped in my old age. LOL :blink:

A couple of years ago, I lost about 30 lbs following an almost paleo diet, and I felt great. Now I know it wasn't so much the pounds dropping off that made me feel good but the gluten-lite diet that I was following. Eventually though, I remember eating a muffin as a treat and then it all fell apart from there... I regained the weight.

I'm rambling. Sorry...

My question is:

Is it a good idea to try to lose my weight now before my gut heals over the next 6 to 24 months?

I've heard that it can get harder to lose weight once gluten-free, and many celiacs even experience weight gain once they are healed. Is this accurate? Do I have a window of opportunity here to lose my weight more easily (than it will be in a year) that I should work hard to take advantage of, or should I not deprive my body of calories while I'm healing?

I have to admit that I'm leaning towards working on it hard now even though I'm healing.

I should add that I probably won't be adding much exercise for a few more months. I have enough joint, back, and weird upper body and knee weakness that I'm hoping will resolve a bit on this gluten-free diet. If I lose weight, it will be primarily though calorie restriction (on a gluten-free diet).

Thanks for any answers, advice or personal anecdotes you can offer. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bartfull Rising Star

It depends on you. If you eat a lot of gluten-free breads and other replacements, you may indeed gain weight. But if you go with whole foods only, or something similar to the paleo diet, you will lose weight and feel great while you're doing it.

I started at 170 pounds a little over a year ago and am now down to 128 pounds. And believe me, I still eat a LOT of ice cream. But my regular meals are simple whole foods - meat and sweet potatoes and veggies, eggs too. I eat a banana and an avocado each morning for breakfast, top that off with a big bowl of ice cream, and cheese for snacks during the day. Then when I get home at night I eat MORE ice cream! I'm STILL losing weight!

veronika Newbie

I agree with bartfull, if you stay away from the gluten free replacement foods you probably won't be gaining a ton of weight. They are typically full of simple carbohydrates which will not make you feel full, so you'll be eating more than you would otherwise. Eating protein and good fats (ex. avocado, olive oil, nuts) with each meal or snack will help stabilize your blood sugar and make you feel full. I think this is the time to give your body the nutrients it needs to repair all the damage :). I'm trying to gain weight right now (I'm one of those gluten intolerant people who are stick thin) and find it really really hard to gain -- and I snack/eat every 1.5-2 hrs lol.

Razzle Dazzle Brazell Enthusiast

I'm a mom to three boys, who is 38, around 5'8", and weighs about 175lbs on a bloated day. I am about 30-35 pounds heavier than I'd like to be. I was diagnosed celiac almost a month ago, although I suspect I've had it my whole life. Withdrawl symptoms are slowly lessening and I now feel well enough to start thinking about losing my extra weight again.

This was prompted by the fact that I think my stomach circumference has dropped a few inches since the bloating has subsided and I like looking smaller. I honestly had thought that I just had a lot of belly fat... The type where people start thinking you are a few months pregnant. Not the look I really wanted, but I just thought I was becoming more apple shaped in my old age. LOL :blink:

A couple of years ago, I lost about 30 lbs following an almost paleo diet, and I felt great. Now I know it wasn't so much the pounds dropping off that made me feel good but the gluten-lite diet that I was following. Eventually though, I remember eating a muffin as a treat and then it all fell apart from there... I regained the weight.

I'm rambling. Sorry...

My question is:

Is it a good idea to try to lose my weight now before my gut heals over the next 6 to 24 months?

I've heard that it can get harder to lose weight once gluten-free, and many celiacs even experience weight gain once they are healed. Is this accurate? Do I have a window of opportunity here to lose my weight more easily (than it will be in a year) that I should work hard to take advantage of, or should I not deprive my body of calories while I'm healing?

I have to admit that I'm leaning towards working on it hard now even though I'm healing.

I should add that I probably won't be adding much exercise for a few more months. I have enough joint, back, and weird upper body and knee weakness that I'm hoping will resolve a bit on this gluten-free diet. If I lose weight, it will be primarily though calorie restriction (on a gluten-free diet).

Thanks for any answers, advice or personal anecdotes you can offer. :)

If you have leaky gut make sure you space meals and exercise b/c eating then exercising too soon can cause more allergies to surface. Oh and I don't think calories is a huge issue since you are overweight but vitamins is definitely important. I would think as long as you eat a good variety of fruits and veggies, you will be fine. They are a lot more filling raw, as I am sure you know. A little exercise is good even if it is just walking or my personal favorite, water aerobics. I am just now getting to the point after like a month and a half where my appetite is no longer insatiable. So I think you will find it actually will become easier to lose weight. Just like bartfull said though, if you eat a bunch of fattening gluten free processed foods it won't do ya any good. Good luck

nvsmom Community Regular

It depends on you. If you eat a lot of gluten-free breads and other replacements, you may indeed gain weight. But if you go with whole foods only, or something similar to the paleo diet, you will lose weight and feel great while you're doing it.

I started at 170 pounds a little over a year ago and am now down to 128 pounds. And believe me, I still eat a LOT of ice cream. But my regular meals are simple whole foods - meat and sweet potatoes and veggies, eggs too. I eat a banana and an avocado each morning for breakfast, top that off with a big bowl of ice cream, and cheese for snacks during the day. Then when I get home at night I eat MORE ice cream! I'm STILL losing weight!

That's good for me to hear that you haven't regained any lost weight after a whole year gluten-free. Yeah! :) I should be okay avoiding replacement foods except on special occasions like birthdays; as long as it's not in the house, I'm good. LOL I did go on a bit of a gluten-free binge trying some of the prepackaged foods after I was diagnosed, but my appetite has dropped so I didn't go too nuts... actually lost some weight.

I agree with bartfull, if you stay away from the gluten free replacement foods you probably won't be gaining a ton of weight. They are typically full of simple carbohydrates which will not make you feel full, so you'll be eating more than you would otherwise. Eating protein and good fats (ex. avocado, olive oil, nuts) with each meal or snack will help stabilize your blood sugar and make you feel full. I think this is the time to give your body the nutrients it needs to repair all the damage :). I'm trying to gain weight right now (I'm one of those gluten intolerant people who are stick thin) and find it really really hard to gain -- and I snack/eat every 1.5-2 hrs lol.

I've never had a problem gaining weight... darn it. LOL the grass is always greener, eh? ;)

Thanks for the advice. Sticking to whole foods is a good idea.

If you have leaky gut make sure you space meals and exercise b/c eating then exercising too soon can cause more allergies to surface. Oh and I don't think calories is a huge issue since you are overweight but vitamins is definitely important. I would think as long as you eat a good variety of fruits and veggies, you will be fine. They are a lot more filling raw, as I am sure you know. A little exercise is good even if it is just walking or my personal favorite, water aerobics. I am just now getting to the point after like a month and a half where my appetite is no longer insatiable. So I think you will find it actually will become easier to lose weight. Just like bartfull said though, if you eat a bunch of fattening gluten free processed foods it won't do ya any good. Good luck

I'm not sure if I have a leaky gut or not... is that fairly typical? I know I'm lactose intolerant, does that mean anything? In another week I'll find out the results of all my vitamin level tests and TSH tests; I suppose I'll know more than. I will be sure to keep my veggie intake fairly high and take vitamins to help with that.

My appetite is down after almost a month, and I did lose 5 lbs somehow (could have just been bloat). I hope the lowered appetite lasts, especially if I absorb nutrients and calories better after I heal.

I'm sure I'll get some mild exercise, but I tend to be very black and white when it comes to exercise... I've got plans to restart my P90X workouts when we are home from vacation. :P Not water though...I don't even like to sit in a bath! LOL

Oh leaky gut in a quick sense is when your damaged gut allows things to enter the bloodstream from our intestines and our body respond to it much in the same way as gluten. I think this is common with corn proteins and milk proteins. I hope I explained it right. I thought I was lactose on tolerant too but learned that lactose free milk that has milk sugar already broken down, still causes D and stomach cramps so I cut it out. My metabolism is so much better when my gut moves appropriately. If i get bloated, it slows me down big time and I always gain weight and then lose it back once it calms down.

nvsmom Community Regular

Oh leaky gut in a quick sense is when your damaged gut allows things to enter the bloodstream from our intestines and our body respond to it much in the same way as gluten. I think this is common with corn proteins and milk proteins. I hope I explained it right. I thought I was lactose on tolerant too but learned that lactose free milk that has milk sugar already broken down, still causes D and stomach cramps so I cut it out. My metabolism is so much better when my gut moves appropriately. If i get bloated, it slows me down big time and I always gain weight and then lose it back once it calms down.

Ah, okay... that makes sense to me! :) That could explain milk sensitivity and why gluten-free tortilla chips gave me a stomachache. Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

justlisa Apprentice

I'm just going to "ditto" what others have said....natural, whole foods (meats, fruits, veggies...cheese and dairy if you can tolerate). I eat...and I eat substantially... I think that the greatest factor for the weight gain experienced by some who go gluten free is that they try to "mimic" their old diets (which were unhealthy regardless of the gluten intolerance issue) and eat too much "replacement food"...processed food...etc...etc... I, also, am coming to believe that these folks are the ones who continue to have more/new "issues"... It's UNHEALTHY...gluten free is irrelevant...

Ah, okay... that makes sense to me! :) That could explain milk sensitivity and why gluten-free tortilla chips gave me a stomachache. Thanks.

You are very welcome. I just try and help as many have helped me here. :-) I would suggest you continue to browse and learn from the forum. You may discover something else that makes your life easier. :)

Nay-Nay Newbie

I was just dx with Celiacs two days ago. Im happy I found this forum because I have been working with a personal trainer for quite a few months now and both he and I noticed that everything is pretty much toned and looking the way I want it to except my stomach. No matter how many abdominal excercizes I do my stomach always looks somewhat distended. Guessing that all the gluten in my system is to blame. I wonder how long it will take for that to go down. Also, how far into following a gluten free diet will I start to feel better? Its only been 2 days of avoiding gluten but I still dont feel better. Still the nausea, abd pain, and diahrrea. :(

justlisa Apprentice

Nay nay... I noticed a huge difference in my stomach region within the first week. More of "feeling", really...my stomach felt lighter, less "dense" (if that makes sense)...hard to explain... But let's just say that I don't remember ever feeling this way...ever... just less "pressure"... Even at times of being "skinny" I didn't feel like this.. it's like, "so, this is what "normal" feels like"...

Nay-Nay Newbie

Nay nay... I noticed a huge difference in my stomach region within the first week. More of "feeling", really...my stomach felt lighter, less "dense" (if that makes sense)...hard to explain... But let's just say that I don't remember ever feeling this way...ever... just less "pressure"... Even at times of being "skinny" I didn't feel like this.. it's like, "so, this is what "normal" feels like"...

I know that dense feeling you speak of all too well! I'll take feeling light over looking light anyday. Can't wait till I get to that light "normal" feeling. Feel like I have a brick in my stomach. And I get full easily!

nvsmom Community Regular

NayNay - It took over a week for me but I was pretty happy with how much flatter my gut got... and surprised!

RuskitD Rookie

Its never too early or late to begin eating healthy. Make the right choices, even if the weight does not begin to come off.

I tried from the beginning of gluten/corn/soy free life to lose weight. After logging on a diet site I realized I was not eating enough. Factor into that leaky gut or/and malabsorption trouble, and I was starving while being obese. I was finally able to raise my caloric intake without feeling sick from stuffing myself.

My weight began to drop. But.... at the same time I got a rebounder.

I have to say again, I read about rebounding (mini trampoline). Even just gentle bouncing on one stimulates our lymph nodes to drain. (its been proven by NASA, you can find the test results online) I dropped 10 lbs in a few weeks. It was 10 lbs of fluid from inflammation, I am sure of it. I continue to use my rebounder. I swear it has given me energy, and its just plain fun to do. I am down by nearly 20 lbs now, and very flabby. I have no doubt that my body was just carrying fluid from the inflammation, and that is what I have lost. I hope to lose some of the fat I carry. But if I don't, at least I am not bloated with inflammation, and I am healthier than ever!!!! BTW I am 6 months gluten-free.

Good luck on your journey!

nvsmom Community Regular

A rebounder, eh? I've thought about getting one of those, more for my kids than me, but it could be fun. Hmmm.

Thanks for the advice. And congrats on 6 months and your weight loss success.

Archived