Jaaron

Starting Gluten Free Diet

Rate this topic

I've had symptoms of celiac for about 4 and a half years now been to several doctors with no answers. In my own searches I came across celiac deases and decided to start trying to eat gluten freeze cut a lot out of my diet and do feel loads better but still get "sick" when I eat things with glutten is there any web sites or advice any one can give me to going completely glutten free on a tight budget and making meals for one

One thing that I do is to make a lasagna or casserole or a soup and I'll take out my serving for dinner. I then separate it out to single serving sized containers and freeze them! That way I can just go to the freezer if I want something different. I tend to eat salads, veggies and hummus, fruits, and yogurt. Having something in the freezer I can go to quick certainly helps a lot! I do get a recipe pretty much everyday from a site called glutenfreechecklist.com, I don't always like them all but some are great and if anything I get ideas. There's also a few threads on this site with some great recipes, lots of great cooks kicking around here, so I've seen! Good luck!! ?

Hi Jaaron! Welcome to the board.

I have found that cooking a lot at one time and freezing in portions is helpful. That way you always have food ready. If you eat mostly whole food like meat, vegetables, fruit, nuts, and rice, you will find it easier to be gluten free on a budget. When you start buying packaged gluten free products is when the food bill goes up drastically. If you make hamburgers or chicken breasts, make a whole pan and freeze them. You can freeze cooked rice too.

To be completely gluten free, you will have to pay attention to some places gluten might be in your kitchen, like the condiments, cooking utensils, toaster, pots and pans, collander and cutting board. Read the recipe section here to get an idea of what can be made that is gluten free. Almost everything you ate with gluten can be made gluten free. Ask any questions you might have as you eliminate gluten. I'm glad you can already tell you feel better without it. Hope you feel better soon.