hobbitqueen18

Celiac And Hair Loss?

Rate this topic

I was just wondering if hair loss is a "symptom" of going gluten free? I thought that I heard someone say that it was but I was just wondering if that is true. Lately it looks like my hair has been getting thinner but I don't know if it is the gluten-free diet that is doing it or something else. If it is comming from the gluten-free diet, how can I make my hair stop from thining. Please help!

Have you had your thyroid checked? Other hormones? Those things can make your hair fall out. I don't know why a gluten-free diet would if you are eating well/

Two things come to mind as possible culprits: thyroid and anemia. Both can cause hair loss. Have you had your vitamin and minerals checked? As celiacs we tend to be deficient in iron, ferritin, vitamins A, B12, D, E, and K. Thyroid tests to get include TSH, Free T3, Free T4, Thyroid peroxidase antibody (TPOAb), Thyroglobulin antibody (TgAb), and Thyroid stimulating hormone receptor antibody (TRAb).

Stress, illness and hormonal changes can cause hair loss. If you were quite ill when diagnosed or the gluten-free changes are stressful for you that may be what is causing the loss. It takes at least 3 months for the hair to grow back. Something that I find contributes to hair loss other than being glutened is soy because I react to that also.

Biotin can be helpful so if you aren't already taking a gluten-free biotin supplement you may want to add one in. Also check your shampoos and conditioners for gluten ingredients (I also have to avoid soy protein in them too but that may not be the case for you)

I would definitely ask your doctor to check your serum ferritin. I was gluten-free for almost an entire year before my ferritin started to rise (and that was taking iron supps 3 times day). Hair loss was deifnitely an issue for me and has gotten much better since going gluten-free and adding in iron (and starting to eat meat again- I was formerly a vegetarian).

I was just wondering if hair loss is a "symptom" of going gluten free? I thought that I heard someone say that it was but I was just wondering if that is true. Lately it looks like my hair has been getting thinner but I don't know if it is the gluten-free diet that is doing it or something else. If it is comming from the gluten-free diet, how can I make my hair stop from thining. Please help!

I have had alopecia or bald spots since my early teens. An autoimmune disease also connected with celiac disease. It has only ever gone away once and not for long. The hair grew in pure white and frequently falls out again. I keep my hair long to cover it up; just lucky that I can cover it or I would wear a wig. Supposed to improve with gluten free diet; but for those of us that had our celiac disease diagnosed late, it's just another autoimmune problem that gets added in.

I had this problem after I was diagnosed. I went to my doctor and she tested me for multiple vitamin defiencies. I have always been borderline anemic. My test came back and I was definetely lacking in many vitamins as well as Folic Acid. Once I started taking a multi-vitamin and folic acid everyday my hair stopped falling out. I highly suggest you talk to your doc and get tested to see where you might need to add certain supplements to your diet.