gfree06

Coeliac Disease, Almond Intorleracne And Dairy Intolerance?

Rate this topic

Hi all,

I'm a new member and have been gluten free since 2006.

I have an intolerance to gluten but have had the blood test and endoscopy both of which show that i'm not coeliac. However I've had a long standing intoleracne to dairy items as well as all the gastrointestinal symptoms of coeliac disease. doctors have suggested IBS. Recently I've been eating a lot of almonds and have noticed a severe intestinal reaction to them - that Im quite sure I never had before. I've been experinecing it for some months, only today I decided to look it up and found it on this site that the almond intolerance is linked to coeliac disease. Also the manner in which that people talked about it is identical - down to the time frame, amounts and stool information - sorry for gross details.

Now I wonder is it possible for coeliac disease not to show on an endoscopy? is it more likely that the gluten free diet is exposing this? is it possible that at the time of the endoscopy it was latent? or is it more like conicedental that there is a relation and likely to be just a almond intolerance.

I also wonder if I should go back to my doctors.

Yes, it is certainly possible for Celiac to not show up on the endoscopy. Happens to many people. And yes, a gluten-free diet does tend to make other food intolerances/allergies begin to show up.

It is also possible that the almonds are contaminated.

Yes, it is certainly possible for Celiac to not show up on the endoscopy. Happens to many people. And yes, a gluten-free diet does tend to make other food intolerances/allergies begin to show up.

It is also possible that the almonds are contaminated.

I agree. The almonds you had could have had a flavor enhancing coating or just simply sent down the same mass production system as other gluten laden foods. Maybe try almonds that are labeled gluten free to see if they bother you? I have found that I am MORE tolerant of dairy products now that I have been gluten free for several months. BUT I am also fighing vertigo since going gluten free and wondering if somehow all this is connected.

Good luck.