longhorn61

Hormones Or Gluten Problem?

Rate this topic

]At 8 weeks pregnant i noticed I had a lot of hair falling out so much that I have 2 bald spots now. I also have had a re-occuring face rash that itches and blisters. It was diagnosed as impetigo, but it keeps coming back, I have had it 4 times in this pregnancy. I am now 34 weeks. I read online that ppl can have rashes and hair loss as symptoms of gluten intolerance. I have given up gluten for about 4 weeks now. And no regrowth on hair or any other help, just more hungry :)

I do stil have a small dry skin rash around my nose and chin, its little red bumps under the skin. I am wondering if that is just pregnancy related because it is not going away. I don't think gluten is making a huge difference just in my amount of money I have to spend on groceries!

I value your opinions on here, do you think my hair loss and skin rashes are hormonal related or something else. I am so tired of trying to figure it out. I have also read online of many women who have expereinced the same type of hair loss with their pregnancies.

But I notice when I do not eat gluten I do have more energy, I don't get an overly full feeling, and I am less bloated I guess. But I wonder if that is just bc I am taking in less fiber? Also, I feel more nasal congestion with wheat.

I don't know about the skin rashes, but hair loss can definitely be a symptom of fluctuating female hormones. When I switched birth control pill a couple of years ago my hair started falling out, and it freaked me out! Apparently it was just my body reacting badly to the different hormones in the new pill, so I switched back to the old one and the hair regrew quickly.

My doctor told me to take Benadryl to help calm down my hormones, and said she often prescribes that for pregnant patients going through the same kind of things. I wouldn't advise taking it without asking your doctor though.

That doesn't mean it isn't gluten related, and the skin rash could be something else entirely.

Thanks for that, I am hoping once hormones level out it will all return to normal. I have just heard that pregnancy can trigger autoimmune issues like gluten intolerance.