Wakingup

What's For Breakfast?

Rate this topic

Dear friends,

I need your help with breakfast ideas.

I self diagnosed over a year ago. Last month I received news that my cholesterol is on the high side....total cholesterol 245, LDL 173, HDL 55. I declined medication and told the doc I will work on changing my diet.

Before discovering my gluten intolerance, I was eating oatmeal and morningstar sausage for breakfast. both these contain gluten. Now I'm eating gluten-free cereal with almond milk and one hard boiled egg every morning. I would like to eliminate the egg because of its high cholesterol content and would like to switch back to oatmeal (since oatmeal is good for decreasing cholesterol).....

Has anyone found a certified gluten-free oatmeal? Also can anyone suggest a good protein source in place of the egg which is high in cholesterol? If I don't eat a little protein at every meal, I feel hungry and tired an hour later, then I end up eating way more calories than I would if I'd had protein.

I've read about "protein powder" but these make me cringe because they seem artificial and unhealty. Thanks in advance for your thoughts, joanne

Not sure how it would go with cholesterol, but on the weekend I made up a pot of kidney beans, finely diced tomatoes, chives, mushrooms, chopped capsicum and finely diced onion, cooked it in a pot then had it with toast. I didn't have any because I was sick :( but my daughter said it was nice.

You can always just eat the egg white, which has less cholesterol. Or do the egg every other day.

How about a piece of chicken breast? Or some fish? Baked potato with black beans? Quinoa (higher in protein than most cereals)? Pumpkin seeds on your cereal? Almonds on your cereal?

We have a long thread on what people are eating for breakfast:

What about PB or nut butters for your protein? On toast, an apple, etc

We have a long thread on what people are eating for breakfast:

What about PB or nut butters for your protein? On toast, an apple, etc

Such a helpful thread for me, thanks so much!

You can always just eat the egg white, which has less cholesterol. Or do the egg every other day.

How about a piece of chicken breast? Or some fish? Baked potato with black beans? Quinoa (higher in protein than most cereals)? Pumpkin seeds on your cereal? Almonds on your cereal?

Great suggestions, thank you.....what do you do with the egg yolk? My husband doesn't like eggs and I hate to throw food out.

Great suggestions, thank you.....what do you do with the egg yolk? My husband doesn't like eggs and I hate to throw food out.

I feed them to my chickens.

You could freeze them, and use them to make a custard or some other yolky dish for a party or work function.

http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,176,157174-236202,00.html

http://www.foodnetwork.ca/recipes/Dessert/Eggs-Dairy/recipe.html?dishid=6793

http://www.grouprecipes.com/92999/mexican-chocolate-pots-de-creme.html