Scott Adams

Gluten-free diets gain fans, concern others - Boston Globe

Rate this topic

Boston Globe

Gluten-free diets gain fans, concern others

Boston Globe

A different 1.8 million Americans probably should be on a gluten-free diet because they have celiac, an autoimmune disease triggered by gluten — but the vast majority don't know they have it, according to a July study from the Mayo Clinic. This ...

and more »

View the full article

I sure wish these nutrition experts and MD's who comment on a Celiac diet would make two things clear. 1) the SAD would be low in most of those things the gluten-free SAD is low in if glutenous products weren't fortified. 2) a whole foods gluten-free diet is not unhealthy, and is (generally) healthier than the SAD.

Really, how many people who have a gluten issue run around eating a SAD version? Not many, because it makes you feel worse (generally) and its dang expensive!

I know I'm generalizing but I am so tired of hearing how what I eat is unhealthy! Geez, I just ate a dinner of spinach/egg/onion/strawberry salad, broccoli, and grilled chicken breast! Yeah, that's unhealthy. And breakfast was an egg with refried beans, avocado, and cheese with cantaloupe.

We won't talk about lunch because that chocolate pie kind of snuck in there - which was, btw, the only dessert I've made (and aside from a small scoop of gelato a few times, eaten) in 2 months!

Maybe those people with IBS and CFS who were helped by a gluten free diet should be reassessed for celiacs?

Good idea kittty. On a nother note, I hate how people make gluten out to be the devil, that it is the cause of many health problems and weight gain and such. This isn't actually all that true.