Lisa A

Things That Help When I Get Glutened

Rate this topic

I'm super sensitive to gluten and as such, get glutened way too often and spend a lot of time trying to find ways to lessen the impact. A couple of things have actually worked for me, which might work for some of you other super sensitive people.

First, I happened to read something interesting about glucosamine, that it binds to gliadin thus reducing the impact of gliadin in your guts. So I have tried taking glucosamine after having been glutened, and another time tried not taking it, and taking it most definitely reduces (although does not totally eliminate) symptoms. I take it three times a day when I've been glutened. I actually think this is a very useful supplement for people with Celiac Disease even when they have not been glutened.

Second, my variation of sensitivity means that when I get some microscopic bit of gluten, I get totally constipated, bloated and nauseous for almost a week. So it's important to keep things moving. I've taken magnesium oxide for it's laxative effect, which helps. And recently I tried a sea salt flush which made me feel back to normal literally within hours! A sea salt flush is gross and drastic but certainly washes everything out of your intestines in a hurry. If you do decide to try it, first read up on it extensively, and don't leave home til it's done!

Lisa, you might try N-acetyl Glucosamine (NAG) instead of just plain glucosamine. It contains the specific sugar that the lectin wheat germ agglutin (WGA) binds to in the villi. I would link to an article on Celiac.Com but my copy/paste function is kaput. Do search for an article called The Dark Side of Wheat: New Perspectives on Celiac Disease and Wheat Intolerance, on Celiac.Com, or you can find it by googling :"N-acetyl glucosamine and celiac" Apart from the information on NAG it is a fascinating read on the history of wheat and how it affects us.

I will try that, and thanks for the info!