This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Just Starting Out...

tio1514

tio1514 Newbie

Hello, I will go by Tio (no not the Spanish meaning) I am 25. For as long as I can remember I have been a very sick child, and was always diagnosed as IBS, Depression, and just standard year round allergies. Actually had a Celiac Panel done back in Aug 2011 it came back negative because the doctor said I was not showing signs of malnutrition from the blood test and I was made to fast before the test (not sure why because even the pathologies was surprised doc said to fast and told me that fasting before a celiac test defeats the purpose because the food needs to be in the body to show up). That aside I believed the doctor saying it was just depression as many previous doctors have said it was. Till two weeks ago my Mom got back from a vacation with some friends and one of the ladies she went with had all the same symptoms as me and she had many blood tests come back negative because they always had her fast before them. So finally I started a gluten free diet about two weeks ago seems to be almost a 180 flip from how I felt before. I have so many symptoms, but some seem to be different from most I have read. Some of mine are within minutes after eating gluten I start coughing because my allergies start acting up start stuffing up and hard time breathing, never been able to sleep for a very long time started having to take sleeping pills back in Aug, anxiety, bloating, and then all the stomach discomfort and diarrhea.

So now here I am because as far as I know I am the only one in my family that has this problem though now that I look back some on my Father's side of the family could have had this was just never diagnosed, both my father's parents died from colon cancer, and cousin has Crohn's that has now turned into Colon cancer.

So any tips would be very helpful, specially with label reading. So far I just go into the grocery store with the mind set if I can't read the label I won't buy it. So all I buy is meat, veggies, fruit, potatoes and rice. It just gets confusing when it comes to the shampoos and all that.

~Tio~

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

rosetapper23 Explorer

Actually, you're right about those labels-simply walk by them and buy natural, whole foods. When you start to go gluten free, it's much better to eat whole foods: fruits, vegetables, dairy, meat, nuts, etc. After a few months, you can feel free to buy certified gluten-free crackers, breads, and other processed foods. Don't bother with the labels--just buy the foods that say that they're certified gluten free.

As for shampoos, Desert Essence Organics' line of shampoos and creme rinses are all gluten free.

Tio, it appears that you're one of us....

Razzle Dazzle Brazell Enthusiast

Hi Tio!

Welcome to the board. I am glad you were able to find out for yourself what is bothering you despite unreliable experiences with the healthcare system. So many of us have experienced similar troubles. As far as advice goes, you are probably doing the best thing by eating fresh fruit and vegetables to start out with. I wish I had done that because I had other sensitivities surface when I went gluten free and couldn't figure out what it was. Besides that, eating whole foods cuts down on risk for cross contamination. When you verge into buying processed gluten free foods, do yourself a favor and only buy things that are certified gluten free or made specifically in a facility that avoids top allergens or gluten.

Shampoo is kinda debatable I suppose; it is impossible to avoid traces of gluten running down into your mouth, so I personally think it is best to have that gluten free too. Hand soap, I use dawn with no problems that I can see. I use plain shea and cocoa butter lotions.

Well that's a start I hope. You will learn how sensitive you are and what brands you can trust and not trust, but just in case you do not know, most of us seem to become more sensitive as our immune systems recover and strebgthen. Do not be shocked or mislead if that happens to you.

tio1514 Newbie

I hope I am okay with the shampoos and conditioner I have, I don't see gluten or wheat on the label. Its nice that my mom is being helpful also, she is keeping gluten free snacks in her house for when I come to visit and started cooking gluten free meals that I can eat when I am there. As far as all the whole foods that was not so hard for me, my mom and I have always been cooking from scratch people, and I was never really a person that ate out much. I also can't stand fast food. It is just I have always been the bread and pasta lover... But if this is what it takes for me to feel better then its what I must do to stay well.

Do have a question, as far as vitamins go the one I normally take has wheat in it, and mom always tells me that since I only take one a day its not a big deal since the last time I was at the grocery store all the gluten free vitamins were not as complete as the one I currently take. So is my mom wrong and its worth changing? If so any good complete brands out there?

rosetapper23 Explorer

Yes, your mom is wrong--you canNOT take a multi-vitamin with wheat in it. Absolutely not! You should get your vitamin/mineral levels tested and take only those nutrients that you're deficient in. With a whole-foods diet, you should be able to get most of what you need from your food. If you're unable to absorb any nutrients, your tests should show you which ones you need to supplement.

tio1514 Newbie

The blood test that was taken said all I needed was iron, because I don't really eat red meat, and all other levels were normal. Looks like that is going in the bag of gluten items to take to her house :)

Razzle Dazzle Brazell Enthusiast

I dont think you quite understand how serious the condition is. It can take just a small breadcrumb to cause damage to your body This is not like a simple allergy. Autoimmunity is a whole different thing. if you continue to expose yourself to purposeful glutening as well as cross contamination from kitchen surfaces that have handled gluten, you could be looking at developing other problems. Take it from me, it is not worth it. Many of us learned that lesson the hard way, including those who were self-diagnosed.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived