Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Imitation Crab Meat

9 posts in this topic

I'm looking for an imitation crab meat that is gluten free as well as soy free. It has to be imitation because I'm allergic to shellfish, but I can eat other types of fish. Or if there is not a safe brand out there can someone tell me how to make fake crab meat? That would probably be even better. Thanks!

Ads by Google:

All the brands I've ever seen contain wheat. Maybe someplace like Whole Foods might have some gluten-free, soy free?

I have never seen a brand that didn't have a lot of gluten. Fake crab meat is mostly fish and flavoring stuck together with gluten.

If you find one, please let us know! I LOVED the imitation crab and miss it very much. But I haven't found any that we can have.

That's what I was afraid of. No Whole Foods around here, but I'll be checking Trader Joe's. I was hoping that if someone could given me a brand name I could request one of my local stores to start carrying it.

That's what I was afraid of. No Whole Foods around here, but I'll be checking Trader Joe's. I was hoping that if someone could given me a brand name I could request one of my local stores to start carrying it.

actually, I googled a little and came up with this....more than you wanted to know, but if you are the adventursome type and can experiment alot, at the bottom of the section titled Raw Materials (I think) describes some things in it. Perhaps you could come up with something.

http://www.gale-edit.com/products/volumes/crab_meat.htm

actually, I googled a little and came up with this....more than you wanted to know, but if you are the adventursome type and can experiment alot, at the bottom of the section titled Raw Materials (I think) describes some things in it. Perhaps you could come up with something.

http://www.gale-edit.com/products/volumes/crab_meat.htm

Interesting. I've been googling for a recipe and can't find one--all the recipes come up as recipes that USE imitation crab meat rather than ones that describe how to make it. I guess it's one of those heavily processed items I won't be making from scratch.

After tons of searching I found a post on this site from 2007:

So I guess my next step is to contact this company, because the links posted don't say anything about gluten and I need to know about soy as well.

Wow, that was a fast! I got an e-mail reply already. Here's what they wrote:

Hello XXXX,

We do not add any gluten containing ingredients to the Lobster Classic Chunk and our Crab Classic Chunk formulas. However, we do NOT certify these products to be gluten free. Certification requires special handling, testing and specially designed lines which we do not have. We take all reasonable precautions to avoid cross contamination however we cannot eliminate all risk.

I hope this helps,

Kenji Maeda

Consumer Service Supervisor