8 replies to this topic

#1 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:20 AM

I'm looking for an imitation crab meat that is gluten free as well as soy free. It has to be imitation because I'm allergic to shellfish, but I can eat other types of fish. Or if there is not a safe brand out there can someone tell me how to make fake crab meat? That would probably be even better. Thanks!
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 luvs2eat

luvs2eat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:35 AM

All the brands I've ever seen contain wheat. Maybe someplace like Whole Foods might have some gluten-free, soy free?
luvs2eat
Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas
positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy
diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day
Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

#3 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:59 AM

I have never seen a brand that didn't have a lot of gluten. Fake crab meat is mostly fish and flavoring stuck together with gluten.

#4 jststric

jststric

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:59 AM

If you find one, please let us know! I LOVED the imitation crab and miss it very much. But I haven't found any that we can have.

#5 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:05 AM

That's what I was afraid of. No Whole Foods around here, but I'll be checking Trader Joe's. I was hoping that if someone could given me a brand name I could request one of my local stores to start carrying it.
A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

#6 jststric

jststric

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:07 AM

That's what I was afraid of. No Whole Foods around here, but I'll be checking Trader Joe's. I was hoping that if someone could given me a brand name I could request one of my local stores to start carrying it.

actually, I googled a little and came up with this....more than you wanted to know, but if you are the adventursome type and can experiment alot, at the bottom of the section titled Raw Materials (I think) describes some things in it. Perhaps you could come up with something.

http://www.gale-edit...s/crab_meat.htm

#7 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:39 AM

actually, I googled a little and came up with this....more than you wanted to know, but if you are the adventursome type and can experiment alot, at the bottom of the section titled Raw Materials (I think) describes some things in it. Perhaps you could come up with something.

http://www.gale-edit...s/crab_meat.htm

Interesting. I've been googling for a recipe and can't find one--all the recipes come up as recipes that USE imitation crab meat rather than ones that describe how to make it. I guess it's one of those heavily processed items I won't be making from scratch.

#8 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:53 AM

After tons of searching I found a post on this site from 2007: http://www.celiac.co...imitation-crab/

So I guess my next step is to contact this company, because the links posted don't say anything about gluten and I need to know about soy as well.

#9 GlutenFreeManna

GlutenFreeManna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 12:07 PM

Wow, that was a fast! I got an e-mail reply already. Here's what they wrote:

Hello XXXX,

We do not add any gluten containing ingredients to the Lobster Classic Chunk and our Crab Classic Chunk formulas. However, we do NOT certify these products to be gluten free. Certification requires special handling, testing and specially designed lines which we do not have. We take all reasonable precautions to avoid cross contamination however we cannot eliminate all risk.

I hope this helps,

Kenji Maeda

Consumer Service Supervisor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: