This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Fodmap?

RideAllWays

RideAllWays Enthusiast

Hi everybody. I have been having symptoms daily for almost two weeks now, and I am careful about what goes near my mouth, and live in a gluten-free house. Somebody suggested fructose malabsorption, which could be a problem.

So what is "Safe" without:

Corn

Soy

Gluten

Dairy

Shellfish

Fructose

I like veggies, fruit (which I guess is a problem now), rice, quinoa, meat...

Any suggestions would be lovely!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Dada2hapas Rookie

I don't know if this will be helpful, but I had a similar experience. Turns out, besides the gluten issue, I'm allergic to many fruits/veggies. :)

http://www.celiac.co..._1&#entry629036

Skylark Collaborator

Mom has fructose malapsorption. I can tell you how she was eating when she came to visit last.

She eats eggs and sausage or ham for breakfast. Mom eats corn so we were having grits and corn bread, but maybe you could eat Cream of Rice. You also might be able to make yourself bread from tapioca starch or white rice flour. Mom says that brown rice has too many fructans and a lot of the commercial gluten-free breads are made from brown rice flour and don't agree with her.

She would eat a little fruit, with a trick. She mail orders bags of dextrose and came with one in her suitcase. When she has a little fruit, she sprinkles dextrose on it to shift the fructose:glucose ratio and make it easier to absorb. She also puts dextrose in her coffee although it's not as sweet as sugar.

For lunch, she usually has salad. Lettuce and greens are great on the FODMAP diet, and she can have limited amounts of enough other veggies to make interesting salads. She found some mayo without HFCS and made tuna salad and chicken salads a lot. (I think there's soy free mayo?) She checks labels for gluten-free dressings with no HFCS. She was eating hummus with corn chips too - you could probably use potato chips or celery.

For dinner, she eats meats and fish, white rice, potatoes, or sweet potatoes, and lot of cooked greens because they have almost no fructose. When she visited, we had kale, chard, spinach, and collards. She also finds that green beans are pretty easy to digest and she might have been eating peas. She'll also eat bean soups or white chili (no tomato!) if she takes a little Beanzyme. I had some frozen, homemade chicken with rice soup that she liked too.

She doesn't eat much sugar or sweets. She does have a square of Dove chocolate every night after dinner. B)

Hope this helps a little.

georgie Enthusiast

FODMAP is great. I am dxed Gluten Intolerant probaly Coeliac. Then Dr thought Dairy was a problem so I went DF for a year or two. But every now and then I would get worse. I finally had lactose tests and fructose tests and found I was lactose and fructose intolerant. Then Dr suggested I am FODMAP and I knew as soon as I read it - that it was me. Onions are one of my biggest allergens and they are Fructans. Sorbitols are another. Fruit upsets me but berries are fine.

This list helps.

Open Original Shared Link

Another good read.

Dr Sue Shepherd developed FODMAP in 2001. Open Original Shared Link There are lots of links here which explain the different groups as as one poster said - you can often tolerate small amounts of the intolerance if you mix it with glucose/sugar/dextrose. And lactose free means you can have cream, butter and hard cheeses as they contain virtually no lactose. Sue even suggests small amounts of milk are OK if taken with a meal. And fruit is fine if cooked with sugar as in an apple pie for instance. Its all about finding the level that suits you. And some fruits are worse than others.. It does mean reading the labels a bit more carefully though as many commercial gluten-free foods have onion powder or other nasties.

I feel SO much better since eating FODMAP and I have only been on it about a month. I have an Australian made commercial pre mix which is brilliant. Cakes, muffins, waffles - all just add an egg and water and mix. Brighterlife mixes. They are no Wheat, Soy, Egg, Gluten, Corn, Artificial Colours, Preservatives, Yeast, Salicylates, Amines, Casein, Fructose, and are low in Fat and low in Sugar. Open Original Shared Link You may have a similar company there.

As Sue explains - make sure you are lactose intolerant - as it is important to keep to have some dairy in the diet if you can. And there is no need to be dairy free if you are only lactose intolerant.

Its worth it to feel healthy and I don't miss the FODMAP foods at all.

vbecton Explorer

FODMAP is great. I am dxed Gluten Intolerant probaly Coeliac. Then Dr thought Dairy was a problem so I went DF for a year or two. But every now and then I would get worse. I finally had lactose tests and fructose tests and found I was lactose and fructose intolerant. Then Dr suggested I am FODMAP and I knew as soon as I read it - that it was me. Onions are one of my biggest allergens and they are Fructans. Sorbitols are another. Fruit upsets me but berries are fine.

This list helps.

Another good read.

Dr Sue Shepherd developed FODMAP in 2001. Open Original Shared Link There are lots of links here which explain the different groups as as one poster said - you can often tolerate small amounts of the intolerance if you mix it with glucose/sugar/dextrose. And lactose free means you can have cream, butter and hard cheeses as they contain virtually no lactose. Sue even suggests small amounts of milk are OK if taken with a meal. And fruit is fine if cooked with sugar as in an apple pie for instance. Its all about finding the level that suits you. And some fruits are worse than others.. It does mean reading the labels a bit more carefully though as many commercial gluten-free foods have onion powder or other nasties.

I feel SO much better since eating FODMAP and I have only been on it about a month. I have an Australian made commercial pre mix which is brilliant. Cakes, muffins, waffles - all just add an egg and water and mix. Brighterlife mixes. They are no Wheat, Soy, Egg, Gluten, Corn, Artificial Colours, Preservatives, Yeast, Salicylates, Amines, Casein, Fructose, and are low in Fat and low in Sugar. Open Original Shared Link You may have a similar company there.

As Sue explains - make sure you are lactose intolerant - as it is important to keep to have some dairy in the diet if you can. And there is no need to be dairy free if you are only lactose intolerant.

Its worth it to feel healthy and I don't miss the FODMAP foods at all.

Great post! This is exactly the type of information I was needing for myself. I started 2 days ago eliminating fructose to see if that was the cause of my unrelenting symptoms. Seems it was indeed as I am gas free for the 1st time in...well, maybe my life B) . And great information about the lactose intolerance. I was just wondering about dairy because I had eliminated dairy when I went gluten-free, but I love dairy and definitely want to reincorporate if possible. Did you purchase the Sue Shepherd book? I probably need to do that.

RideAllWays Enthusiast

Thanks guys! Georgie, I'm pretty sure it's a caseine thing since things that are supposedly lactose free bother me.

I went grocery shopping and bought blueberries, celery, spinach, chickpeas, rice, white potato, eggs, and some herbal tea. anything wrong with those?

Skylark Collaborator

All is fine, but go easy on the blueberries. :) I really hope you've figured out something that helps.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

georgie Enthusiast

Go easy with the chick peas... Try hard cheeses first and see how you go. Once the onion , fruit and sorbitols were removed I found the casein was 'not' the problem. Berries are fine. Fruit is OK if you share it with glucose. I try to have less sugar these days so avoid the fruit/glucose idea. I do like FODMAP though! The Sue Shepherd books are really good. I have just bought her latest - lots of good ideas.. The idea she stresses is that although you need lactose free - this does 'not' mean you cannot tolerate low amounts of it... once all the other FODMAP allergens are under control and you start to heal. I disagree with her low gluten idea but she does say that some people have Coeliac + FODMAP and need the gluten-free diet.

Archived