Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MandeeTheGreat

Benefit To Getting Diagnosed?

Does anyone know if the gluten rash "Dermatitis herpetiformis" occurs only with Celiac disease or can it occur with gluten intolerance as well? I am getting mixed results while researching. Are there any benefits to being diagnosed Celiac? I get very ill from eating wheat (gastrointestinal symptoms, lethargy, gluten rash, nausea, foggy mind, stomach cramps etc) and I realized that, so I removed it from my diet. Then I told my doctor about it and she said there was no reason to do any testing, that if I knew it was a problem I just shouldn't eat it. Gluten isn't healthy anyway. But now I am wondering if it would be good to find out for sure if I have Celiac disease or just am gluten intolerant. 

Google " Celiac centers" and read what the experts say. DH is a skin form of Celiac. There are many rashes that are not DH. You can have the rash biopsied next to a fresh blister for a diagnosis of Celiac.

A few reasons for getting diagnosed:

If you are ever hospitalized, jailed or go to a nursing home, etc - these places do a terrible job, for the most part at gluten-free anyway, but do not have to give you gluten-free food without a diagnosis.

Getting your kids tested for Celiac is easier, and standard care, if a parent has Celiac.

If you are at an all day event that does not allow outside food, you will need a doctors note to get to bring your own food.

Insurance may not want to pay for follow- up care like blood tests to check for vitamin deficiencies, bone density scans in a young person, etc.

For kids in school or college - you need the diagnosis to get out of meal plans, special accommodations for classroom activities, etc

Thank you for that information. Is there any way to be tested without consuming gluten? I dont think I could handle being that sick just to test for it. I recently had a breakout of the DH but now its healing up. I am not sure if it can still be tested if its not new?? I guess I am off to do more research. I have a hard time accepting that I could have celiac :(