This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Please Help Pre-Diagnosis Q's About Symptoms

KristinIrwin

KristinIrwin Apprentice

My name is Kristin and I am new to the forum and joined because I'm really stressed and a little confused!

I started having GI symptoms around October 2012, and they have progressively gotten worse (constipation, bloating, cramps) .  I also had a general feeling of weakness and tiredness (very unlike me before all this started) and had occasional tingling in my fingers and toes. I have lost 12 pounds since September 2012 (obviously not on purpose!). On Feb 22 I went to a GI doctor who diagnosed me with IBS-C and sent me on my way to get blood work done. The nurse called me back about 4 days later and said "the only thing that was abnormal was that you were slightly elevated in your ttg for celiac, so maybe try going on a gluten free diet". So, I did that for three days and was already noticing I felt a little bit better. However, she called me again after those three days and said that my doctor looked at the labs again and wants to go ahead with an upper endoscopy to be sure. So, I have been back on gluten in preparation for that.

The past week had been pretty bad, my bloating and cramps have been occuring badtly at night time. But yesterday and today I have noticed muscle pain in my left leg as well as feeling VERY weak and exhausted.

I guess I'm just wondering: Has anybody else experienced a lot of muscle pain and weakness with their untreated celiac? And what are the chances my blood work is correct and that I do have celiac? My upper endo and biospy are next wednesday, march 13.

Thanks for anybody who takes time to help me out!

Kristin

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Smylinacha Apprentice

Hi,

Sorry you aren't feeling well but sounds like your doctor is right on. Years ago I had an endoscopy and was diagnosed with IBS-C. I was given Zelnorm and Nexium and sent on my way. Fast forward 7 years and all the symptoms came back..... Bloating, gas, constipation with D in between and the weight loss which is scaring me. I am not losing any more weight but can't seem to put it back on. I have been gluten free for a couple of months now and feel much better. I am finding out I also cannot tolerate nuts anymore. Before going gluten free I would have leg pain at bed time along with restless leg feeling, muscle soreness in my neck and arms, headaches and all pains are gone now. My gastro said I have to go back on gluten for another endo but I don't want to be sick again as I don't function well at work and really need my job. Plus I have two very active dogs at home and family to take care of and can't afford to be sick again. Did they test your thyroid too? I am hypothyroid and need daily meds for that. Hope you feel better soon:-)

KristinIrwin Apprentice

Hi,

Sorry you aren't feeling well but sounds like your doctor is right on. Years ago I had an endoscopy and was diagnosed with IBS-C. I was given Zelnorm and Nexium and sent on my way. Fast forward 7 years and all the symptoms came back..... Bloating, gas, constipation with D in between and the weight loss which is scaring me. I am not losing any more weight but can't seem to put it back on. I have been gluten free for a couple of months now and feel much better. I am finding out I also cannot tolerate nuts anymore. Before going gluten free I would have leg pain at bed time along with restless leg feeling, muscle soreness in my neck and arms, headaches and all pains are gone now. My gastro said I have to go back on gluten for another endo but I don't want to be sick again as I don't function well at work and really need my job. Plus I have two very active dogs at home and family to take care of and can't afford to be sick again. Did they test your thyroid too? I am hypothyroid and need daily meds for that. Hope you feel better soon:-)

He did test my thryoid! Said everything was okay. Thank you for responding! I really do think that going gluten free is what I need, I can't wait to get the endoscopy done so I can stop eating gluten.

And your dogs are so cute!

Smylinacha Apprentice

They are cute dogs but do not stop until it is bed time lol! Good luck with your endo and glad your thyroid is OK:-)

Archived