Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kat L

Help Interpreting Hla-Dq Typing Results

I just got my HLA-DQ typing results back, and I'm not entirely sure how to interpret them.  I know that I'm positive for HLA-DQ8 and therefore am genetically predisposed to the potentially developing celiac.  But, what I want to know is if there's anything else that can be gleaned from the results, including whether I have 1 or 2 copies of the genes?  My dad's had a number of the same symptoms as I have for many years and is on the verge of trying gluten-free.  If I was able to tell him that I have 2 copies of the gene and therefore he has at least 1 himself, it might push him over the edge into actually giving it a shot.  

My results:

Hla-Dq2:   Negative

Hla-Dq8:   Positive
         Hla-Dqa1:   3
         Hla-Dqb1:   301
         Hla-Dqb1:   302

Typing performed by PCR and hybridization with sequence
         specific oligonucleotide probes (SSO).

Interpretation:  
         The patient has one of the HLA-DQ variants associated
         with celiac disease.
         More than 97% of celiac disease patients carry either
         HLA-DQ2(DQA1*05/DQB1*02) or HLA-DQ8(DQA1*03/DQB1*0302)
         or both. However, 39% of the general U.S. population
         carry these HLA-DQ variants, as a consequence, the
         presence of HLA-DQ2 or DQ8 or both variants is not per
         se diagnostic of celiac disease.

Background on me - I had negative IgA tests and endoscopy (while eating gluten), but also had low vitamin B12 and D3 results.  My symptoms are definitely consistent with celiac and have improved IMMENSELY while being gluten-free (3 months and counting).  When I have accidentally had gluten (once in ibuprofen pills and once in an Odwalla juice drink) I've had a severe reaction that lasted 3+ days, which was the same reaction as when I purposefully ate pizza to test it.  So regardless of the test results, I'm operating under the assumption that I have celiac...and happy for it.