Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Katelet

Autoimmune Symptoms Appeared Suddenly After Shock: Anyone Else?

I'm new here, just started having symptoms a few months ago after being involved in a car accident.  It wasn't a bad accident, and I wasn't physically injured, but I was in shock.  A drunk person drove into me from behind and smashed my car into a truck in front of me.  Fortunately I was standing still, so there was no whiplash or anything, but I was shaky and sick afterwards.

A few days later I started getting a very fast pulse, and a week after that I had heart palpitations, and I was diagnosed with a hyperactive thyroid.  The first thing I did was google the condition, and I came up with this article:  http://chriskresser.com/the-gluten-thyroid-connection .  Anyway it made total sense to me because both my mother and my sister are gluten intolerant!  I thought I wasn't, but apparently things can change fast!  I feel I was pretty lucky that they had already been diagnosed, because I have been able to avoid thyroid medication by going gluten-free.  My symptoms are now pretty much gone (after a month and a half) as long as I don't get any gluten by mistake.  When this happens the palpitations etc. come back full power; I had some pretty bad nights.  I am also having regualr accupuncture, which seems to help.

If anyone else had a similar experience of gluten intollerance starting suddenly with thyroid symptoms I would like to hear how you deal with it.  Thanks!

My symptoms began suddenly after a trip to Grand Cayman. At first I swore it was some sort of parasite. I was tested for hyper thyroid and everything else the doctors could think of. Sometimes I think that perhaps there were some minor symptoms over the years, but the major symptoms the ones that made me feel so bad I was going to the emergency room, it was as if someone flipped a switch.

Hope that helps.