This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Sooo Mad! /mums/allergy Tests!

jhol

jhol Enthusiast

found something out today while having a conversation with my mum,

we were talkin abt the date of my allergy tests and how im gonna get there.she said not to have anything to eat before you go in and i said why? they are only gonna have a chat with me. she then said " when i had mine done they just put this plastic grid on my arm and pinpricked me,they did it straight away. the following conversation went like this...

when you had what done?

my allergy tests.

youve had allergy tests?

yes.

proper allergy tests, at a hospital?

yes.

what did they find?

im allergic to beef and tomato,s

(me-in my head)so this is the tomato,s that im having problems with. but you eat beef and tomato,s?

yeah - but its never done me any harm.

but you have asthma,thyroid problems, gall bladder removed, diabetes, raynauds syndrome!!!!

yeah but its nothing to do with that.

but your eating foods that your body cant deal with, it causes inflammation throughout your body- thats probably why your thyroid has packed in!!!   

so why did you go for allergy tests then?

coz i had unexplained rashes and things - like when i ate chocolate and i had to run to the toilet with diarrhea and then id come out in a rash.

your allergic to chocolate!!!!

yes and errrm dairy.

YOUR ALLERGIC TO DAIRY????but you eat chocolate all the time and eat cheese.

yes but it never bothered me.

why have you never mentioned this before?

i probably did but you cant remember.

WHAT!! how old were you?

(she now realises she,s said too much and clams up) - i cant remember how old i was.

you must know how old you were, were we small,toddlers, teenagers??

i was about 35

(me in my head) so a bit older than i was when i started having problems!!

i cannot express how mad i am with her at the moment.why hasnt she said something when i told her id given up dairy!! when i told her im having problems with food intolerances all she had to do was say - oh i had problems too, i had to go for allergy tests.she could have saved me so many years of problems but shes said nothing!!

my poor sister had to listen to me venting on the phone today..and ive given her the job of interrogating mum to see if she,ll tell us more.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Try having this convo in two years, when she's watched you go gluten-free (and whatever else f) and still refuses to be tested for celiac disease or stop eating gluten. Or get hormone/thyroid labs past tsh.

And when she tells you she thinks she going to develop Alzheimer's....try not to strangle her. This is after you've explained gluten can cause neuro damage...

When she tells you that your diet (gluten-free) seems too restrictive, when she can't eat HALF of the foods she used to eat because she gets "mysteriously ill"...just try not to scream "you're effing Celiac, it's GENETIC. I didn't get it from kissing boys!!!!"

jhol Enthusiast

hi,

ive calmed down a bit now lol. thats just my mum- the more i read about celiac the more im convinced shes got it! but my results were negative- maybe we are ncgi. hopefully these tests will give me some answers!!

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

hi,

ive calmed down a bit now lol. thats just my mum- the more i read about celiac the more im convinced shes got it! but my results were negative- maybe we are ncgi. hopefully these tests will give me some answers!!

Potato/potatoe.....

It seems gluten issues in general are genetic. Didn't mention my dad had food allergy testing and it came back + for EVERYTHING.....

I drew the "gluten screwed" card, I think. Genetics are just grand.

Juliebove Rising Star

found something out today while having a conversation with my mum,

we were talkin abt the date of my allergy tests and how im gonna get there.she said not to have anything to eat before you go in and i said why? they are only gonna have a chat with me. she then said " when i had mine done they just put this plastic grid on my arm and pinpricked me,they did it straight away. the following conversation went like this...

when you had what done?

my allergy tests.

youve had allergy tests?

yes.

proper allergy tests, at a hospital?

yes.

what did they find?

im allergic to beef and tomato,s

(me-in my head)so this is the tomato,s that im having problems with. but you eat beef and tomato,s?

yeah - but its never done me any harm.

but you have asthma,thyroid problems, gall bladder removed, diabetes, raynauds syndrome!!!!

yeah but its nothing to do with that.

but your eating foods that your body cant deal with, it causes inflammation throughout your body- thats probably why your thyroid has packed in!!!   

so why did you go for allergy tests then?

coz i had unexplained rashes and things - like when i ate chocolate and i had to run to the toilet with diarrhea and then id come out in a rash.

your allergic to chocolate!!!!

yes and errrm dairy.

YOUR ALLERGIC TO DAIRY????but you eat chocolate all the time and eat cheese.

yes but it never bothered me.

why have you never mentioned this before?

i probably did but you cant remember.

WHAT!! how old were you?

(she now realises she,s said too much and clams up) - i cant remember how old i was.

you must know how old you were, were we small,toddlers, teenagers??

i was about 35

(me in my head) so a bit older than i was when i started having problems!!

i cannot express how mad i am with her at the moment.why hasnt she said something when i told her id given up dairy!! when i told her im having problems with food intolerances all she had to do was say - oh i had problems too, i had to go for allergy tests.she could have saved me so many years of problems but shes said nothing!!

my poor sister had to listen to me venting on the phone today..and ive given her the job of interrogating mum to see if she,ll tell us more.

Hello sister!  We must have the same mother!  I grew up with my mom claiming that she was allergic to various things.  She would sometimes avoid them for a while and then not.  Her claim was that she craved the things she was allergic to.  Now whether her issues are true allergies or IgG/intolerances I do not know.  I do know that some are intolerances.  And two of those were chicken and spinach.  And yet?  She went to a naturopath who put her on a bizarre diet where she could eat anything she wanted and as much as she wanted and then a super strict one where she was to eat nothing but spinach, chicken and fruit until she lost weight.

I just don't get my mom's logic.  At times she will say that she has to eat _____ because she craves it.  Other times she will say that perhaps a Dr. told her not to eat it but that doesn't mean anything.  Or that she doesn't have to do what the Dr. said.  I would say at this point in her elderly life that senility is coming into play but...  She was like this when I was a kid too!

Now my daughter and I have food intolerances.  She makes nasty comments to us about our diets.  She gets angry if she offers us a food that we can not have.  Then she will ask why and if we say we are intolerant to it, she gets even more angry and says that we should not say that and we should just get over it.  Or she will suggest that we eat at a place where they have literally nothing we can eat.  And then tells us that we can't use our food issues as an excuse.

I think my dad has food intolerances or allergies as well.  He goes through tissues like crazy.  Since I stopped eating dairy and eggs, I've cut waaaay back on the tissues I use.  In fact I rarely have to use them for my nose at all.

The thing that really gets me is that my mom will often get sick after eating.  "Ohhhhhhhh...  Why does my stomach hurt?  Oh poooooor me!" And she expects sympathy.  Or she will make a big announcement.  "I am NOT going to eat any eggs tonight!"  And then she will order French Toast!  She doesn't cook so it is quite possible that she doesn't know that there are eggs in there.  But if I point it out to her, she gets angry and tells me that I don't know that.  To her, eggs are yellow and white things in a shell.  They couldn't possibly be in some other dish.  Right?  Had the same argument over Avglolemeno soup.  She said there was cream in it.  But it's not cream that gives it the creamy texture.  It's eggs.  I know.  I made it when she came to visit.  This before I knew what a number eggs do on me.

So yeah.  I hear ya.  And good luck with that!  My mom is pushing 80 now.  I've lived with it all my life and it's only getting worse.

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

I am in too!

I am NCGI (well, until testing catches up with me...) and so very clearly are my Mum, her 2 sisters and my grandma. Along with a host of other intolerances each. My Mum has given up wheat, cheese, chocolate among other things at various times, but when I told her about gluten-free and what it has done for me, she said she started to lose other foods, so started eating wheat again so she didn't lose any more. What?? Well, I hope the cfs and chronic migraines are worth it. Grandma had blood transfusions every few weeks because her B12 and iron kept dropping. She lives on toast and food replacement sachets. In the past she had food addictions.

Seems that mostly they are going to drive us mad.

At least I know where my stubbornness genes come from as well as the gluten intolerance ones.

Archived