Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

animmunetarget

Pos For Celiac Gene`s, Undiagnosed, Lots Of Symptoms

I am new here and looking for some information. All of my life I have had problems with my stomach. I have had occasions where I had chronic diarrhea and weight loss. I have been anemic off and on all my life.  Over this past year things have gotten worse and I have been looking for some answers.

Last fall I was having a lot of the chronic stomach issues along with being diagnosed once again as anemic. My regular doc was concerned so he sent me to see a Gastroenterologist. I have had elevated Liver Enzymes for over 10 years now, they seem to roller coaster. The hep doc suspected Autoimmune Hepatitis and did a liver biopsy back then, it was near normal. So now I just have my levels monitored in case it gets worse and I would need treatment.

But, back to the reasons I was sent to the Gastro Doc last fall. Being that I was anemic the doc was concerned with possible stomach bleeding. So I had an Upper GI Endoscopy, which revealed a lot of Bile Reflux. Not Acid Reflux, but actual Bile from my liver, the two are different. I had a Ultrasound of my abdomen in which they spotted several small cysts on my gallbladder. The doc felt it was best to leave it intact and just watch for growth. I also had a HIDA Scan and my Gallbladder was high functioning so they did not want to remove it. The next test was a Colonoscopy but I was in the process of moving and I never went to get that done. My major abdominal pain subsided so I just basically decided to wait on that unless I was showing more symptoms. Fast forward to March of this year, I decided to get my DNA tested to see what Medical Issues I was at risk for. I was actually hoping it might shed some light on some symptoms that I had. Well lo and behold it came back that I am very high risk for Celiac Disease as well as Ulcerative Colitis and Lupus. This has me concerned. I have a son and we are also getting his DNA tested to see if he shows the same markers and genes for these diseases as he has multiple stomach issues as well. My son is 20. I am wondering now if maybe I should take these results to my doctor and have them specifically test for Celiac Disease. I have trouble with my food digesting at times. For instance corn is a big one that seems to just go right through me and sheds itself undigested. I have been told in the past that I had a spastic colon.

Lately I have been having an increase in Migraine Headaches and I wonder if they could be related to Celiac? Any thoughts? I also have a lot of joint pain in my left knee and some swelling there as well. My son and I have discussed it and thought about trying to go Gluten Free but we know from what we read its really hard to do. Should I just go to the doc first and present her with my results and ask for testing or should we try the diet and see if we notice any improvements? My sons is so bad it has interfered with him working his job, he lost his last job due to the illness, because he was sick with his stomach so much. We need to find some answers. Any thoughts?

About 30% of the U.S. has the genes for celiac, but do not have the condition itself (as seen here http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/archives/faq/if-i-have-a-gene-for-celiac-disease-does-that-i-mean-i-have-it ). Certainly, the genetic test shows that you may develop it, but you may not develop it.

From what you've been though, it would be a good idea to get tested while you are on gluten then try the diet regardless of the results. They consist of the celiac panel of blood tests and a endoscopy with a biopsy.