Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ntruth

Should I Do A Gluten Challenge?

Hello,

I have been struggling with IBS for 3 years now.  I have talked to doctors about it, but they look at me crazy and tell me to reduce my dairy intake.  Now, I'm trying to find out what is causing the IBS myself; I have decided to take a food allergy IgG test. I used to eat a lot of wheat products: Whole wheat toast for breakfast; then a turkey sandwich for lunch; and a wheat roll with dinner. I ate a lot of pasta. For the past few months my diet has been gluten light. I gave up coffee, soy, dairy, and wheat for 7 days last week and felt so much better; but I would like to know specifically what foods I'm sensitive to before eliminating multiple food groups.   I have never been gluten or wheat free (longer than 7 days), so is it necessary that I do a gluten challenge for 3 months? How long should I eat gluten heavy before getting an IgG test?

Hello,

I have been struggling with IBS for 3 years now.  I have talked to doctors about it, but they look at me crazy and tell me to reduce my dairy intake.  Now, I'm trying to find out what is causing the IBS myself; I have decided to take a food allergy IgG test. I used to eat a lot of wheat products: Whole wheat toast for breakfast; then a turkey sandwich for lunch; and a wheat roll with dinner. I ate a lot of pasta. For the past few months my diet has been gluten light. I gave up coffee, soy, dairy, and wheat for 7 days last week and felt so much better; but I would like to know specifically what foods I'm sensitive to before eliminating multiple food groups.   I have never been gluten or wheat free (longer than 7 days), so is it necessary that I do a gluten challenge for 3 months? How long should I eat gluten heavy before getting an IgG test?

I dont think that you need to do a gluten challenge for 3 months.. I'm GUESSING maybe a month, since youve only been gluten free for one week. I think it is important to test, just so you can get an idea of why gluten is effecting you.

If you don't want to get tested, there is a minth long diet called the whole 30. It eliminates certain foods for a week or so, then reintroduces them. I have never done this diet, but I think it would be very effective at targeting the foods that bother you.

<3

Hello,

Hello and welcome!

If you have been gluten light for some time, I would think it would be reasonable that two-three week on a full gluten diet would be appropriate for testing. A three month challege is no longer the norm....lucky you! :P

I would suggest that you eliminate one food at a time, begining with gluten/dairy.  And add back diary after several weeks.....after testing. 

Good luck! :)