Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mum in Norway

Gluten Before Endoscopy

I've been eating alot of gluten for a few weeks and will be having a bloodtest done tomorrow. After the bloodtest, how much gluten will i need to keep eating till I get an endoscopy? Will a slice of bread a day be enough for my intestine to stay damaged, or do i need more? Would really really like to be able to cut back on the gluten caus it makes me so ill, but still I do want the endoscopy to give me an answer that can be trusted...

This assumes you have stopped eating gluten so I think a half a slice a day would keep you glutened up.

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/archives/faq/what-is-a-gluten-challenge

What is a gluten challenge?

A gluten challenge is the period of time when gluten is added back into a person’s diet to assist in the diagnosis of celiac disease. Antibodies take time to build into the blood stream before they can be detected through blood analysis. For a gluten challenge we recommend eating 1/2 slice of bread or a cracker each day for the duration of the challenge.

• Prior to blood testing we recommend 12 weeks of eating gluten.
  • Prior to an endoscopic biopsy we recommend 2 weeks of eating gluten.

In the case of a severe reaction to gluten, a medical professional may opt to shorten the 12-week challenge and move immediately to an endoscopic biopsy