This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Head Trauma Causing Celiac's Disease?

BBrien

BBrien Newbie

When I was 8 years old, I attended a summer camp. My friend and I were in charge of running the spongy-floaty thing that is labeled LIFEGUARD that they always sit with. Anyways, I had the strap around my and my best friend was holding onto the spongy-floaty part. We were running and she ran faster than me. We got to concrete steps and I slowed down, but she kept on barreling down the stairs. I lost my footing and was dragged down the stairs. The top of the back of my head landed on the corner of each concrete step. 

We never went to the doctor because I have a high pain tolerance and wasn't telling them just how badly it hurt. We iced it, etc etc etc. About a month, not even, after that, the symptoms of my Celiac's disease started up.

I have a friend who had an appendicitis and after her surgery, she was diagnosed with Celiac's because of the change in her system from the surgery. 

I was wondering if something similar happened with me. Did the eleven blows to my head initiate my Celiac's disease?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shadowicewolf Proficient

Anything that can cause change in your body can trigger it (examples are surgery, sickness, injury, stress, etc.).

BBrien Newbie

Anything that can cause change in your body can trigger it (examples are surgery, sickness, injury, stress, etc.).

Thank you! That will benefit me in trying to help my doctors piece together my Celiac's. 

nvsmom Community Regular

Yep, traumas and even pregnancies can trigger celiac disease in some people. Good luck with your doctor.

answerseeker Enthusiast

Hmm so my acute adult onset asthma may have triggered celiac?

frieze Community Regular

or the asth a was triggered by the celiac....

Hmm so my acute adult onset asthma may have triggered celiac?

Scarletgrrrl Rookie

I haven't been diagnosed (just had my endoscopy today) but I think my pregnancy brought on my condition.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Debbi139
    Newest Member
    Debbi139
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• Moodiefoodie
      Wow! Fascinating info. Thanks so much! I really appreciate the guidance. @Spacepanther Over the years I have had rheumatologists do full lab work ups on me. They told me they had screened me for arthritis, lupus, and Lyme disease (all negative). In addition to joint pain and stiffness I had swelling in both knees that later moved to my elbow as well.  I also experience stiffness and pain in my neck and shoulders when it flares. I vomited fairly often growing up, but there wasn’t a real pattern to it and I didn’t know it wasn’t normal (thought people caught stomach viruses often).  I don’t usually have stomach symptoms immediately after eating gluten that I notice.  The only other joint condition I know of is fibromyalgia. Good luck! Hope you can get it figured out. I only assumed my joint symptoms were due to the celiac’s because it is under control for the most part on a gluten-free diet.  The rheumatologist also mentioned that some inflammatory/autoimmune diseases can be slow-moving and not detectable until they progress.
    • knitty kitty
      @Spacepanther, I found these articles about the connection between Celiac and joint pain. Musculoskeletal Complications of Celiac Disease: A Case-Based Review https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10201087/ And   Intestinal microbiome composition and its relation to joint pain and inflammation https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6814863/ And The gut microbiome-joint connection: implications in osteoarthritis https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6903327/ Sounds like it's time to change the diet to change the microbiome.
    • knitty kitty
      @Shireen32,  Take some deep breaths.  Your labs are fine!  Your tTg IgA is so low!  Well done!  Your endomysial IgA is fine.  There's not a level on the endomysial test.  It's just "yes or no" for if you have celiac disease.   No, it's too early to call it refractory. What are you eating?  Please tell us more than meat and veg. Do you consume dairy? Do you consume processed gluten free foods?   Are you taking any prescription medications, herbal supplements, vitamins and minerals?  
    • Spacepanther
      thank you knitty kitty I don't have a vitamin deficiency and I supplement omegas.  Are there other more mild symptoms that co-occur with your joint pain as well @Moodiefoodie? I am suspicious my own joint pain could be related to another autoimmune issue. I am wondering if it is Crohn's or something similar because I've continued to experience some issues despite having normal celiac antibody levels. What have you considered?
    • Scott Adams
      Here are some more publications on this topic: https://www.celiac.com/celiac-disease/celiac-disease-amp-related-diseases-and-disorders/fertility-pregnancy-miscarriage-and-celiac-disease/