Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Liza22

Mood Swings

Hi there

I'm Lisa, 28, from the uk. I was diagnosed with coeliac in June and have tried to be gluten free since my endoscopy on 25 may. So far I have noticed no change in my symptoms which are extreme tiredness, frequent headaches, nausea and mood swings. I have another six weeks til I get to see a dietitian and all the doctors I have seen are useless so i thought I might aswell ask fellow sufferers who know more than the medics!

My question is re mood/depression, see I keep getting periods of intense sadness where I feel awful and can't stop crying to the point where I have cut myself. But it's not depression as it goes away after a few hours or a nights sleep. I noticed today that if I eat t goes away immediately. Is this part of coeliac disease? Could it be low blood sugar? Or am I just crazy?!!

Thanks for reading

Part of it might be cross-contamination. Read the Newbie 101 thread so you can learn about places gluten can hide like, wooden spoons and cutting boards, old toasters, strainers, and condiment jars. Also, check any medications or supplements you might take. And lipstick or lip balm.

Also, I think what you are going through is gluten withdrawal. Part of that is physical, part psychological. It is normal to have mood swings at first. Your body is in shock from the changes it is going through, and your mind is too. I think every one of us has had meltdowns in the grocery store at first.

The cutting thing though - is this something that you have done before going gluten-free? I have a friend who used to do this when she was younger. She had a terrible time overcoming it but eventually with age and lots of counciling she stopped. She is now married with a beautiful daughter and a wonderful life. If she could do it, so can you. ((((HUGS))))

Thanks for replying

I do try to avoid cross contamination, I have my own gluten-free space in the kitchen and separate butter etc but will check out the thread as I'm sure there are more tips to learn.

Im not sure that its gluten withdrawal because I was suffering mood swings while I was still eating gluten. It seems that nothing has changed since I stopped :(

The cutting is something that I haven't done for years but I used to do it while I was suffering with OCD (I collect illnesses!!)