Jump to content
  • Sign Up
Celiac.com Sponsor:


Celiac.com Sponsor:

1desperateladysaved

Super- Sensitive Flour Bag Reaction

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Just to alert all who might read this:  I may or may not be reacting to gluten in this story, It is a mysterious reaction.  This is certainly not a normal reaction for someone with celiac disease.

 

First off to anyone who may be interested, my IgE is nearly non-existent, so my doctor told me that I don't have allergies.  I got near a bag of flour being carried today.  Another person, who has a gluten problem picked it up and carried it for me as I protested.  Assume she is fine and dandy and does this all of the time.  I followed the bag by a few feet, stood back as it was set down on a truck platform.  There was no visible puff in the air, nor did I touch the bag.  Over the next few minutes the glands in my neck felt swollen , my throat hurt, and my voice became husky.  My face turned red on the forehead, cheeks, and chin.  .  My body simply tells me it doesn't like wheat.

 

Next time I go to grocery buyers club, perhaps I need to put on a mask?

 

D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My IGE was also very low and was told I don't have allergies, however I would get full blown sinus infections, I have asthma, and allergic rhinitis. So my allergist performed interdermal allergy testing and tons of allergies showed up!

I think we can not only be IGA deficient but also IGE deficient as well. I suffered for a year with multiple sinus infections because my previous doctor said I don't have allergies based on my IGE blood tests. It finally took a specialist who performed the intradermal testing and told me I am highly atopic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I get exposed to gluten dust only, sinus pain and pressure come on pretty quickly and bother my ears and throat as well as my head. I just feel as if I'm starting to get a sinus infection and may have to clear my throat more than normal. The rest of the reaction is fairly typical - irritability, then headache, then the fog. I would think just a puff in the air would be enough to do it but if I were in a gluten-laced environment like that, I'd be afraid to touch anything as well, knowing my hands would likely touch my mouth before I got a chance to wash them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...