moosemalibu

Face/scalp Skin Issues

Rate this topic

So I have noticed that I have had some major flakes happening on my scalp with the occasional itch and my face has been acting real weird with some acne (usual for me) but then little small areas of flakiness. I normally have very oily skin so dry patches is just weird for me. Is this normal for someone with Celiacs? 

Hi there! I am still in the prediagnosis of celiacs, however, along with slot of different symptoms that seems to associate with gluten is my acne. It is horrific!! I have had some issues with acne here and there but it has become so bad that I don't even want to go in public. One thing I know about acne is that it can be caused by inflammation and toxins within the body. I get tested in a week so I am excited to see if they all relate.

So I have noticed that I have had some major flakes happening on my scalp with the occasional itch and my face has been acting real weird with some acne (usual for me) but then little small areas of flakiness. I normally have very oily skin so dry patches is just weird for me. Is this normal for someone with Celiacs? 

I know I've read of a few people having the same problems. I'm still in pre-diagnosis but two of my symptoms are scalp and face issues.

My scalp started breaking out about a year ago. I didn't think much of it because it went away when I started using dandruff shampoo. A few months later it was back with a vengeance. My flakes are kicked up a notch...they are thick and sometimes have to be scrubbed out in the shower. I also get breakouts (can't see them but they feel a lot like pimples) on the sides of my scalp. They are super itchy, too. I tried numerous kinds of shampoos from the grocery store but nothing helped. Finally, I found Lush's Soak & Float. It smells like a campfire BUT it's the only thing that will clear my scalp up. I do still get 'flares' but it's a million times better now. I have a feeling once I'm off gluten it will go away unless I get glutened.

I also started having a problem with my skin around the time that my scalp got worse. Like you, I used to have oily skin. I have had breakouts, but nothing like what I've had the last few months. When I was a teenager I got cystic acne, not super bad but every breakout was cystic. That cleared up for a good decade and now I'm getting them again. Thankfully, it's not as bad as when I was a kid but man, it hurts. I also started getting dry skin. I had to switch to the mildest face wash I could find and even then I still had problems. I usually have dry patches around my face and right below my lip I have to scrub to get the dead skin off or it gets really dark. Something I never had to do before. The dry patches are so persistent I have to use a heavier moisturizer just on those spots. 

I know I've read of a few people having the same problems. I'm still in pre-diagnosis but two of my symptoms are scalp and face issues.

My scalp started breaking out about a year ago. I didn't think much of it because it went away when I started using dandruff shampoo. A few months later it was back with a vengeance. My flakes are kicked up a notch...they are thick and sometimes have to be scrubbed out in the shower. I also get breakouts (can't see them but they feel a lot like pimples) on the sides of my scalp. They are super itchy, too. I tried numerous kinds of shampoos from the grocery store but nothing helped. Finally, I found Lush's Soak & Float. It smells like a campfire BUT it's the only thing that will clear my scalp up. I do still get 'flares' but it's a million times better now. I have a feeling once I'm off gluten it will go away unless I get glutened.

I also started having a problem with my skin around the time that my scalp got worse. Like you, I used to have oily skin. I have had breakouts, but nothing like what I've had the last few months. When I was a teenager I got cystic acne, not super bad but every breakout was cystic. That cleared up for a good decade and now I'm getting them again. Thankfully, it's not as bad as when I was a kid but man, it hurts. I also started getting dry skin. I had to switch to the mildest face wash I could find and even then I still had problems. I usually have dry patches around my face and right below my lip I have to scrub to get the dead skin off or it gets really dark. Something I never had to do before. The dry patches are so persistent I have to use a heavier moisturizer just on those spots. 

I never really had cystic acne (occasionally get one or two) but everything else you described is totally me. Plus I get the flakey weirdness around my jawline all the way up to my cheekbones and around my temples/hairline!! So frustrating.

Hi there! I am still in the prediagnosis of celiacs, however, along with slot of different symptoms that seems to associate with gluten is my acne. It is horrific!! I have had some issues with acne here and there but it has become so bad that I don't even want to go in public. One thing I know about acne is that it can be caused by inflammation and toxins within the body. I get tested in a week so I am excited to see if they all relate.

Acne is one of those things that totally effects your self-esteem. I just wish I knew how to clear it up and have it be gone for good! Good luck with your tests!

Have you ever tried Lush? I'm not normally one to buy a bunch of 'girly' stuff but I have been converted by their products. I exclusively use their products for my face and hair now. The only moisturizer that helped at all with my dry skin is there Celestial moisturizer. I use it on my dry patches and then Imperialis on the rest of my face.