This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Question On Caffeine And Alcohol

HumanDecency

HumanDecency Contributor

So, I've been doing a lot better for the past several months - thanks to my doctors and a lot of you on the forum. That's a good thing. Last night I decided to be a bit brave at my weekly trivia game and I ordered a coke in a disposable cup. I haven't had a coke in quite a while because one of my symptoms that popped up around Celiac diagnosis was really bad heartburn. Well, the waiter was a peach and was trying to help me out as much as possible when I explained my predicament to him. I don't eat out at restaurants yet, but he was helpful and I appreciated that. Eventually he told me they had some New Planet in the back. I thought what the hell, I'll try one.

Well, anyway, at about the same time I had 4 oz of coke and less than 1 oz of New Planet. my stomach started to hurt and it ached pretty much all night. Now I am quite bloated today and burping quite a lot. Since I had them at the same time I am not sure if it was the caffeine or the tiny bit of alcohol. Anyone ever have anything similar? is that just from abstaining for so long or do you think I'm still sensitive? 

Just curious.

Time to keep battling on! 

Thanks,
jesse

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Or the high fructose corn syrup in the coke?  Or the acid of the coke? or the carbonation?  Or the aspartame if it was a diet coke?  Or you have a problem with hops?  Or sorghum?  Something you ate before you got there? Pretty hard to say. 

Next time you want to experiment - just buy 1 coke at the grocery and try it.  See how that goes.  Or just get 1 New Planet at the bar and have some straight from the bottle?

HumanDecency Contributor

Yeah, I wasn't really trying to experiment. I plan on waiting a while and having them each separately. Like you said, it's up in the air. I don't drink soda too often, but I have had a couple caffeine free coca cola's and did fine with those. 

I did drink the New Planet straight from the bottle, but he did touch it to open it. No telling if there could have been some contamination there. Worth using the ole scientific method in the future. 

Thanks for the reply either way. Always something to think about. 

notme Experienced

hey, jesse, was it the raspberry?  i have had the golden ale (i think that's the name of it) and the blonde and had good results with new planet (except it's like $9 for a FOUR pack - whose great idea was a 4 pack, anyway?!)  and i drank it straight from the bottle (but husband opened it with his bic lighter.  or his wedding ring, one  :rolleyes: )  i don't like fruity beers, so haven't tried the raspberry.  just curious...  glad you are doing better :)

HumanDecency Contributor

It was the blonde ale. Which surprising wasn't too bad! Everyone has always told me awful things about new planet. 

It'll be nice to be able to get back to enjoying the occasional one and watching a hockey game with friends. :) I actually have a raspberry one in my fridge. It's been sitting there for 7 months. I bought some earlier on in my diagnosis but was really too poor in health to enjoy one. I never noticed any symptoms of Celiac until going gluten free - so I had no idea what this ride had in store. :) 

w8in4dave Community Regular

Yea once gluten free , if you get Glutenized you will have some experiences thats for sure. I will drink an occasional coke with no problem. I have had some Angry Orchard , Havn't tried the new planet. I am not really into drinking. But once in a great while maby have one. 

notme Experienced

the blonde ale was my favorite - so tasty it was that i drank them all (4)  :)  and haven't been able to find them since!  lolz  i'm probably better off  ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Pegleg84 Collaborator

Yeah, test them both separately.

I love New Planet (can't get it in Canadaland, but I lug some home with me whenever I'm in the US), and have never had any trouble with it. For gluten-free beer, it's really good (the raspberry is really nice, but my favourite is the Pale Ale). However, if your body isn't used to alcohol or other things in beer (the yeast can make you bloaty even without gluten), there could be trouble. Also, if you're just starting to drink again after letting your gut heal, a little booze will go a long way.

On the other hand, I can't handle Coke and other sodas much anymore. Something about the sugar, or the carbonation, or the preservatives, or something just doesn't sit well with me anymore. Also, too much caffein (espresso, more than 2 cups of coffee) can do a number on me.

Hope you figure it out and can still tolerate at least one of them.

Cheers

howlnmad Newbie

hey, jesse, was it the raspberry?  i have had the golden ale (i think that's the name of it) and the blonde and had good results with new planet (except it's like $9 for a FOUR pack - whose great idea was a 4 pack, anyway?!)  and i drank it straight from the bottle (but husband opened it with his bic lighter.  or his wedding ring, one  :rolleyes: )  i don't like fruity beers, so haven't tried the raspberry.  just curious...  glad you are doing better :)

A 4 pack is a great idea cuz you ain't gettin a $13.50 6 pack.

Archived