This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Related To Celiac Or Another Ai Brewing?

answerseeker

answerseeker Enthusiast

I've been gluten free since diagnosis in July. The last month or so I've been getting unexplained bruising, not easy bruising, they literally come from nowhere. I have one the size of a baseball on the back of my leg. With this I get bulging veins in my arms and hands, and rashes appear that look like hickies. It looks like the blood coming to the surface.

Blood work for iron is good and platelets are in the middle range. Tested for factor v Leiden which was negative.

Any thoughts?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Salax Contributor

I know your saying iron is ok, but it does sound like iron....I have low iron, need infusions every couple months and I get bruising out of no where, but not that severe.

answerseeker Enthusiast

My iron is 82 and ferritin is 31

Kaiser considers this normal ranges even if its on the low side of normal. They don't test for vit K defiency either but the vein thing is weird that shouldn't be related to iron or vit k?

Rucko Apprentice

Just wondering, are the bruises painful? What about the rashes?

Also, are you on any meds?  Some are notorious for causing spontaneous bruises.  

answerseeker Enthusiast

The rashes are clusters of red spots looks like when you pinch your skin. No pain

The bruises don't hurt, I don't even know they are there until I see them usually in the shower.

I take Advair for my asthma that's it and was on prednisone in June

Rucko Apprentice

Prednisone is one of the meds that can cause bruising. Since they don't hurt, the bruises might be because of the effect prednisone has on the skin, somehow it thins and weakens it.  If you've stopped taking prednisone, the bruising should lessen and you'll go back to normal.  Otherwise you and your doctor will have to see if your dose can be adjusted, if he/she thinks that might be the problem.

answerseeker Enthusiast

I'm not on it now. I was on it through my IV in the hospital in June. So it should be out of my system by now? My Dr is going to refer me to hematology for further testing

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mommida Enthusiast

There is a type of anemia that causes the red blood cells to be very large (macroblastic?)  I think you can be at a normal count, but the bloods cells are not mormal and proper functioning.

There is also an auto-immune disorder ITP, Idiopathic Thrombosis Purpura (spelling is probably not accurate and I believe there has been a change to the name.  If you google search ITP that should get you some information)  ITP is when the immune system attacks the red blood cells.  An acute attack can be life threatening anemia.  Definately go to an emergency room if you start feeling extremely weak/ rash spreads / more sudden bruising.

Good luck with testing and keep us updated for your speedy recovery!

answerseeker Enthusiast

There is a type of anemia that causes the red blood cells to be very large (macroblastic?)  I think you can be at a normal count, but the bloods cells are not mormal and proper functioning.

There is also an auto-immune disorder ITP, Idiopathic Thrombosis Purpura (spelling is probably not accurate and I believe there has been a change to the name.  If you google search ITP that should get you some information)  ITP is when the immune system attacks the red blood cells.  An acute attack can be life threatening anemia.  Definately go to an emergency room if you start feeling extremely weak/ rash spreads / more sudden bruising.

Good luck with testing and keep us updated for your speedy recovery!

I will mention it to my Dr. my MCV was 99 which is borderline high, but like I said Kaiser doesn't consider borderline or even slightly high labs problamatic. When I looked up the macrolastic anemia it said MCV over 95 may point to that.

• 3 weeks later...
answerseeker Enthusiast

I had my dermatology appointment yesterday and he took a biopsy to test for DH because he thinks its that.

Archived